Questions on a really fast trace! I need help.

SheilaW

Recipe for 3 lb batch

olive 34%

castor 10%

palm kernal 13%

coconut 76 13%

rice bran 5%

Emu 5%

sweet almond 5%

Shea Butter 10%

Kokum butter 5%

18 oz liquid ( no discount ) Lye 6.37 oz

Numbers:

Hardness 35

cleansing 17

condition 60

bubble lather 26

creamy lather 28

iodine 61

ins 318

I mixed 9 oz of water with lye and brought to room temp. Heated oils and brought to room temp. Slowly added lye water while gently stirring with a whisk. I could immediately see that it was thickening up way too fast. Waited a bit and started stirring again. Did this on and off, add the 9 oz almost frozen slushy reconstituted goats milk and continued to stir, went ahead and added the "Satsuma." Didn't rush at all but finally it got too hard to stir so I started glopping it into the mold and so I pushed it down trying to get rid of any pesky air bubbles ( yeah and so much for my copper mica swirl I had planned ) So I sat it in a cool place and went to bed expecting to re-batch this morning. Cut it this afternoon and yeah it looks like soap ( still too scared to do the tongue zap test) I use to have a chart that showed which oils and butters were fast tracers and can't find it. Is it my recipe and numbers that are wonky? Another first try. Hmmm this soap stuff makes me wackier. Oh and by the way that Aroma Haven Satsuma smells like a dream, nice and strong and no funny smell at all.

Sheila, I use a lot of fast tracers too and I always had problems. Recently I started "master batching." I melt and mix my oils and butters the day before. Same thing with the lye, make it a day ahead. You can do this as "master batch" or just one batch. I found that the cool oils and lye make things a lot more manageable for me. Also, when you are ready to soap, you just do it, not waiting!

e

Thanks Bunny for that chart. I had it on my old computer and couldn't remember where I had gotten it when I bought my new computer. I just love that chart. Again, 1,000 THANK YOU BUNNY's!!!!!

Ooppps edited to add: I love Satsuma - got it from RA. I made sugar scrubs with it and several of my testers said the scent reminded them of Fruit Loops cereal!!! What the hell is wrong with people??? LOL