Question about candle sides blowing out

I've never tested a candle and had the sides blow out on me. Can anyone tell me what would cause somethign like this to happen? Its very scary to think about and I wanna make sure Im not doing anything that could allow this to happen. If you've had this happen, can you tell me your experience with it? Thanks alot!

D-

Oh, Ok..so thats what it looks like! I think I know how to keep that from happening. I will probably keep a lil bigger shell on the veggie wax pillars make sure the mp doesnt get too close to the edge. Still testing tho. Thanks E!!

Pillar candles will blow out if wicked too hot. A pillar that burns well during the first third of the candle,will have increased heat and melting as it burns further down,causing the sides to melt thru in spots,causing the sides to blow out. It is nearly impossible to get a pillar candle to totally burn up.Will always have a shell. This shell can be used again by putting a small votive or tealight candle inside it. The shadows that are produced are beautiful to watch.HTH

It is nearly impossible to get a pillar candle to totally burn up.Will always have a shell.

A properly wicked pillar can practically consume itself. This one started out at 6 inches. I don't have a final pic, but it was about an inch high at the end.

Burn.jpg