OK, can someone tell me.....

I have done a search and looked at the posts regarding fragrance throws hot and cold. I want to know why some do and why some dont? Does anyone know what causes scents to not throw and to throw???? Just curious. I havent had a problem so far, I stick with the same wicks and waxes and they seem to work but for future I would like to know.

Thank you all for your help

Jenn

Have a good weekend everyone:yay:

I have some soy wax in my pot and I add a FO from #1 supplier and it throws like crazy then why won't the same FO throw in my Paraffin? Yet this FO from #2 works in both. Why does it depend on the wax????? What chemical makes it throw? Why can't they find out what makes a FO throw and fix them all so they will work with any wax, wick, color or jar out there? It's a crap shoot everytime you try a different scent.

I have some soy wax in my pot and I add a FO from #1 supplier and it throws like crazy then why won't the same FO throw in my Paraffin? Yet this FO from #2 works in both. Why does it depend on the wax????? What chemical makes it throw? Why can't they find out what makes a FO throw and fix them all so they will work with any wax, wick, color or jar out there? It's a crap shoot everytime you try a different scent.

That is exactly what I mean!!! What is the difference...is it the wax, the fragrance, the wicks? I cant figure out what causes the throw either.....I guess it is just a mystery, a mystery that costs a lot of money to test!!! LOL

Jenn

I think it is also everyone's nose is different. Heck, my nose detecs scents differently from day to day. Basically I can't test at my shop cause my nose is immune to scents since I'm surrounded by them all day. I'll have something burning in my office and someone will walk into the shop and say how strong that candle is. I can't even detect a scent. So I have to test for scent with the candle in my 1/2 bath @ home first and only after I haven't been at the shop that day.

There are multiple answers to this like people have said, but as far as the differences between fragrance oils themselves -- it can be a matter of chemistry rather than quality. Here's a silly yet realistic example...

Why does ammonia cleaner have a stronger throw than Windex? Well, they contain different chemicals and some chemicals smell stronger than others. They even contain some of the same things (like ammonia) but in very different amounts. If you want to make something that smells mainly like ammonia, that's obviously one of the easier things to make strong because all you need is one substance that's cheap and smells intense. Other smells might just have an "ammonia note" in them and that's a different story.

Perfumists formulate FOs out of all different sorts of chemicals to produce various fragrances. Some aroma compounds smell stronger than others. Some are more expensive than others. Some fragrances can be produced with fewer chemicals and some require a more complicated combination of ingredients. If you want to make black cherry there happens to be a cheap and intense chemical that smells just like it, but it just might not be possible to make a complex spa scent that smells that strong.

I think I found another "black cherry" sort of example yesterday. I lit up a tester with an orange blossom fragrance at 5% and it started to throw great, then the wick drowned. That almost never happens, as I make testers with a wick up or two from what works with most FOs.

Even with the flame struggling and even after I blew it out, the throw was very strong. Then I cut up the candle to combine it with more wax and bring the FO down to 3%. The wax chunks and crumbles as I was cutting smelled so strong it was making me a little queasy.

That's some powerful stuff, whatever they use to make a straight citrus blossom note. It shows how artificial guidelines like "an average of 1 oz per pound" really are. Knowing the percentage in the wax doesn't really tell you much about how strong it's going to be, because FOs are made of different things and one could smell several times more intense than another. A "triple scented" candle with the stuff I tried yesterday would be ridiculous. I'm wondering if 3% might still be a bit much.

I have been playing with essential oils. They are realy interesting. Some give better scent thro then others. Depending on the notes. fos are the same. That is why you weigh them. The fun is in the testing. Keep good notes and once you get it perfected its a done deal.