Latest Candles & Supplies headache

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to keep a realistic perspective on suppliers. Nobody has a perfect record. I haven't crossed a major supplier off my list until now, but Candles & Supplies just sucks, flat-out. I don't like the way they operate and I don't like the way they communicate. It's an unprofessional and sometimes downright shady operation.

For the spectators, here are some suggested alternatives:

In Pennsylvania, Early American Candle Supplies and Candlewic will be the same shipping distance. Candlewic has the most incredible selection of wax you'll find anywhere. For those who need larger amounts of wicking, they are THE place. They have the best prices on pour pots and seamless aluminum molds. Their selection of molds in general is exceptional except that they don't have the tin plated ones. They also have an exceptional selection of dyes (including EVO) and are a great source for additives.

For people who need the IGI waxes, CandleScience in North Carolina is one of the best suppliers in the business. It will be a cold day in hell before you see a thread like this about CandleScience. Even if they are farther away from you than C&S, put some items in your cart and calculate the shipping. They have some of the most reasonable rates around and you might be surprised. They have an excellent selection of products including:

- A full assortment of IGI paraffins and blends.

- Soy wax from EcoSoya, Cargill and Enchanted Lites.

- The most popular and useful containers.

- Great prices on seamless aluminum molds.

- A good selection of quality wicks, dye and fragrance.

I use them simply as a yardstick for pricing LOL Beings they are top dollar , I always work my way down in price from them. They wanted to charge me something like 7.00 to ship me 1000 wick stickums. LOL I ordered them from Cierra which is across the country from me and they sent the usps in a 4.20 box.

I have been having issues with them with my jars and lids. Long story, but I can tell you this, after three or four emails back and forth I ended up telling them that I certainly didn't feel like a valued customer..sheesh!

The reason for the 15% fee that is charged to “move the melters and the paper wads” into fresh boxes is because we have to pay for the boxes that they are going to be shipped out in to other customers.

Okay, that has to be the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard. It is simply laughable. First of all, someone who is choosing a $15 shipping box just is not very business savvy, eh? Second, the way they include it in the communication, it sounds as if they are charging you, as well, for the labor to move the "paper wads". Those dang paper wads. I know each time I have to remove "paper wads" from my boxes, it takes all day. Wednesday are usually "paper wad" day at my house. I block out the whole afternoon. Those "paper wads" are just so time consuming. Dang pesky "paper wads". Can you tell I just like typing "paper wads"?

I will also give a shout-out to Candlewic and CandleScience..... :thumbsup: Both really great businesses to deal with. Prompt with shipping, email replies, and both companies have very knowledgable people that are always very willing to offer help when asked.

... I substituted my own [box] for one of the melters when shipping them back. ...

Hey Top! Just wondering if you sent them an invoice for the cost of YOUR box. I’m sure you went through great lengths and paid top dollar for a box with the word “fertilizer” marked on it! :laugh2:

Seriously, though, I’m sorry to hear that this has been such a PIA experience for you. But, I’m sure there are many people who appreciate the “heads up” on this company, myself included.

Okay, that has to be the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard. It is simply laughable. First of all, someone who is choosing a $15 shipping box just is not very business savvy, eh? Second, the way they include it in the communication, it sounds as if they are charging you, as well, for the labor to move the "paper wads". Those dang paper wads. I know each time I have to remove "paper wads" from my boxes, it takes all day. Wednesday are usually "paper wad" day at my house. I block out the whole afternoon. Those "paper wads" are just so time consuming. Dang pesky "paper wads". Can you tell I just like typing "paper wads"?

BBBBAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA well that just made my day....heehee "paper wads" ...well CS is off my good list and on my **** list now too.....to many other good companies that WANT my biz....what a shame....:angry2:

I have to agree with the charge back theory. :wink2:

They also need to be reported to the BBB. That is completely unacceptable.

A customer should never be treated like this. Unbelievable.

A message to everyone else. Forewarned is forearmed.

Spend your money wisely. Not with incompetent, unprofessional suppliers.

This isn't an isolated incident. It's business as usual with C&S. I highly encourage you to shop with other suppliers.

Mind you- I used to be a C&S customer. Not anymore.

I'd rather be tossed off the top Statue of Liberty than give them one dime of my money.

Just one question Top. Since they are crediting your account instead of refunding your money, what are you going to buy from them to use up the credit? Sorry this has been such a PIA experience. I liked them for emergencies since they were so close. Could get deliveries in a day but the S&H was always a killer.

This has to be the most incredibly ridiculous thing I have ever seen from a vendor, posted on this board. I am sitting here just shaking my head. Wonder how many other people they have screwed that way. :angry2:

Just one question Top. Since they are crediting your account instead of refunding your money, what are you going to buy from them to use up the credit? Sorry this has been such a PIA experience. I liked them for emergencies since they were so close. Could get deliveries in a day but the S&H was always a killer.
My understanding is that I'm receiving a credit on my card. I don't think they enforce the store credit policy. I wouldn't doubt that they tried to at one time, but it's got to generate more trouble than it's worth.

I couldn't sit still for them hanging onto both the melters and that much of my money. I can't even sit still for the repacking fee. I was planning to chalk up the shipping costs to a learning experience. Some people have felt that I had a case to be reimbursed for the shipping charges, but I thought that was too subjective and I wanted to avoid an argument. Go figure -- I guess they were the ones looking for an argument.

As far as good customer service goes, I'd better put in my shameless plug for The Candlemaker's Store in Hamilton, OH. Last week I finally made a substantial wax purchase (five cases of soy) and they were wonderful to deal with. I was able to pick up on short notice and they gave me the five case price break on two different waxes that totaled five cases! The round trip was only four hours from Indy. I also have purchased from them in the past and had product UPS'd, always very fast turnaround and reasonable shipping costs.

geek

I must have missed the original post about the melters but it is obvious that this is a case of what we call in the south "too big for their britches". It would be so nice if people remembered when they first started and NEEDED business.

You might have done me a huge favor here, Top.

I have looked everywhere for some reasonable colored tumblers. I FINALLY found some at C&S and have ordered all the colors to check them out. Although they were not exactly what I was looking for, they were close enough to spark my interest and to test in them. I have spoken with them twice about volume pricing and has been mentioned by some of the people here in the posts ,the shipping has been the only thing that has not "sealed the deal". I asked them the most important question " will they continue to be available" before I introduced them into a line. She put me on hold to go and ask someone about this...came back and assured me they would be. They have been out of the orange colored tumblers since I started looking at these but had the other colors on stock. I havent done anything about it because it just didn't "feel" good. ( I could write a book on how some of us have grown businesses on how we "felt" instead of how we "think"....its a left brain right brain thing sometimes)

Anyway...after reading this, I am not "feeling" good about diving off with them on these tumblers. It takes some trust and confidence in your suppliers and I just recently went through this exact same challenge with Riekes and learned you better know for sure that everything you introduce in your line better be available always!

Sorry to ramble...long story short to say I hope they use the money well they get for the shipping boxes....it cost them a few bucks on some palates of colored tumblers. I am scared of them now for sure! The shipping box story wins the award for pettiness and greed. UGH!

C&S does have those great wick clips....what a shame!

One of these days when I haven't taken up so much space I will share my experience with Candlewic.It AIN"T pretty.

I I havent done anything about it because it just didn't "feel" good. ( I could write a book on how some of us have grown businesses on how we "felt" instead of how we "think"....its a left brain right brain thing sometimes)

Anyway...after reading this, I am not "feeling" good about diving off with them on these tumblers. It takes some trust and confidence in your suppliers and I just recently went through this exact same challenge with Riekes and learned you better know for sure that everything you introduce in your line better be available always!

Definitely if your getting a bad vibe or not the right "feelings" about doing business with someone, absolutely dont do it...trust your instinct, it is usually right...

C&S does have those great wick clips....what a shame!
You'll be glad to know BCN just started carrying those wick clips. Although I have to admit I've yet to get a wick properly centered with one of them. They jiggle around too much in all the applications I've tried them in.

You'll be glad to know BCN just started carrying those wick clips. Although I have to admit I've yet to get a wick properly centered with one of them. They jiggle around too much in all the applications I've tried them in.

I think it can depend on the diameter of the container somewhat, but there is a little technique to it....or basically getting use to them.....and for me, they have really helped me to speed things up and not have to keep a watchful eye on my wicks while they are cooling. In the beginning I was wicking, attaching the wick clip, warming my containers and pouring. In this sequence I found that they would jiggle loose and I would have to reposition them.

Now, I wick, warm, attach the clip and than pour. I have found that by wasting a little wick and wrapping the top of the wick over the clamp it helps with the smaller diameter wicks.....I do not do this with the larger wicks. I put one finger on each side of the wick and hold the clamp down at the same time I am pulling up taunt on the wick and "locking" it in place. Secures them so tightly that I can move the container all around and it never jiggles loose anymore and always ensures a straight wick. It took a little practice but now I don't think I could live without them. Unfortunately the wax I am using requires a slow cooling down process...and so far the only thing I have been able to come up with is to put them under boxes.....the wick clips give me peace of mind knowing that the wicks are pulled taunt and straight while they are cooling under the boxes.

i hesitated about posting this but i ordered from them a few weeks ago and when my box arrived it had "Live Plants Unpack Immediately" on the side , sure hope they didn't pay for that box...lol

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: That is TOO funny given all their claims about box pricing!

I hope they see this. I hope they realize that it is not just the handful of people who have replied on here that will never order from them again, but the large number of folks who have viewed this and not replied.

Top, I am surprised at what you have stated here in the email. I have been a customer of Candles and Supplies for over 6 years and all I have had from them is wonderful customer service and shipping experience. I have purchased from other suppliers in the past and from the other suppliers I have received such terrible treatment that I will NEVER order from them again and have made Candles and Supplies my #1 supplier as their customer service and shipping times and rates have been far the best.

The products all arrived in wonderful condition, all packed really nice and they have replaced any items for me that have been damaged in anyway with no questions asked.

As far as the melters that you returned to them, was that because you did not want them or did they send you the wrong ones? I am sure if they sent the wrong ones they would be willing to pay the shipping for you along with replace the items with the correct ones. What it sounds like though is that you really did not want them and you expected them to pay for the return of something you did not want.

Have you contacted your credit card company to see if the refund has been posted yet? That would be a good place to start.