Igi 1343

I purchased a quantity of this wax because it seems good for my needs. I'm more interested in sand candles, hurricanes, stand alone pillars, appliques and later - if I'm particularly daring - carved :P Ive noticed it says it has a fragrance oil hold of 3% and that's a drawback, but know that adding additives can help this a bit.

My question is, if you also want a highly fragranced candle, is there something else out there that would do these things and be a bit better? I recently tested a JS oil in my candle that works fine for everyone, and it did have a strong throw - hot and cold - in my wax, but the scent changed considerably. This also happened with another fragrance oil I tested, and people are telling me it must be the wax.

I also have been having trouble finding the right wick, but have read that a flat braided cotton is the best? Any advice on wicks to try for the IGI 1343? I know everyones mileage varies but suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

30 ply is a common choice but get more than one size because it will vary with additives and fragrance and how you want it to burn.

As far as I'm aware, scents throw with 1343 much like with any similar paraffin. Not sure how you think they are changing but probably nothing to switch waxes over.

It's not that additives will help a bit with the fragrance retention. Additives are what fragrance retention is all about. Most similar paraffins won't hold any more fragrance than 1343. For highly fragranced candles this kind of paraffin is just base material for a formulation with additives. Any sort of fragrance retention you see with preblended waxes can be achieved with this one.

When it comes to pillars 1343 really works best with a good hardener. Also don't try to use it for hurricanes.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I am confused though - I thought I have read that IGI 1343 is used for Hurricane Shells? I have also read it can need a hardener for pillars, but I read this afterward and it does seem contradictory. I bought the wax from wholesale supplies plus, who said that it was for hurricanes :cry2:http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3272&ProductName=IGI%e2%84%a2+Wax+1343-A If it isn't, what wax would you recommend, something with an even higher melt point??

As for the fragrance recommendations, I'll keep the wax for now as I enjoy it's wide range, but guess it's back to the drawing board in terms of additives. I used Vybar with it before, perhaps this could have changed the scent?? Candlemaking is confusing lol

Oh some may have used it, but something harder like 1554 is better for hurricanes. You want a higher melt point wax for the hurricanes.

As far as wicking, flat ply works, LX works, square braids work, zinc works.

I doubt the vybar changed the scent of the FO either.

There are some FOs, particularly JS, that will bloom in the wax or won't show up at all. Heck I tried CC's vineyard in 1343 and talk about a change in how it smelled from putrid vinegary rot in the bottle to a much more pleasing grapey scent.

Thanks guys, I think I'll purchase some of the other wax just for hurricanes and keep the IGI 1343 around for the rest. I eventually want to work with more soy and containers, please tell me keeping three waxes is the norm around here :yay:

I think when I try a sample FO order with Peaks I'll get the wicks there, everyone recommends them so highly. I'd be almost tempted just to buy a small amount of another wax just to have Apple Butter smelling candles !! :mad:

I have 5 paraffins and two beeswaxes (and some misc. waxes). They all do different things. Don't waste your time using a lower melt point wax for hurricanes. They need hard wax. Not just for burning the tea light, but just in general. I once was doing a craft show that was on a closed off street. The dark paving became so hot that all of the heat trapped in my tent made all of my hurricanes soft. I was very hot that day. Must have been well over 120 in the tent. I thought I would die. So....don't put all of that work into a low melt point wax. I don't use the hardest because of the abuse I give my wax....like hot and cold. The higher mp waxes will crack on me...so I chose one that is not too hard. I use 5055 with 3% micro 180 from Candlewic. There are other hurricane waxes that you can use, but I only know what I have found using this wax for several years. You have to think about shipping too. If a candle is being mailed to someone in the summer months, you don't want it to become misshapen. I am a fan of palm stearic in my pillars. There are so many little differences in waxes that the only way you will know for sure is to experiment. Most people who are new to candlemaking don't realize that there is such a science to this. Art comes next. I always have something burning. Always. As the weather changes, so does the wax. I am looking at two candles at this moment.....hoping that they will do what I think they will do. But that's another story....and the beat goes on.........I was once told that success is all about how you hold your nose when pouring your wax. (smile) Donita