Does your soap float or sink?

tonyalc

OK, I was inspired by the B&B thread: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24421

;) and the fact that my Mom asked if I could make a floating soap. Kind of like the "Ivory or something-or-other" out there soap, that floats. I'd never thought of it before then. :rolleyes2

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I rebatched a 100% lard soap that crumbled on me and lo and behold, after rebatching, IT FLOATS!

I was testing it in the kitchen sink and it slipped out of my hands into a bowl full of water and it sure nuff floats. I told Mom about it and she was just beside herself, lol!

Any other experiences out there or have you even noticed?

(Just FYI) I do not even care that my soap floats or not). :pAll of my CP soaps sink and that FINE with me.

This is funny. I was once testing two bars of different soaps at once in the bath tub with boyfriend. We noticed one floated no matter what you did to it, even if you dropped it from high up, or pushed it to the bottom. Always rose and stayed at the top. Other bar always sank. It didnt seem to have more air bubbles but no idea.

Aj's right abou the whipped soap. Just whip air into the soap with your stickblender and it will float. Hold the blender half out of the soap and it will add plenty of air.

I'm guessing that a rebatch is probably made up of small pieces of soap so they would trap air when they are incorporated into the rest of the batch. That's what made that one float.

personally I'd prefer floating.... I ONCE let my kids use a lovely, expensive, hand-made soap I bought. They dropped it in the tub and I didn't notice it sitting on the bottom. It was a long bath... Oh I miss that soap ;)

I know air bubbles are generally bad, but wonder if people prefer floating soap?? LOL

I think you may be onto something there, my Mom loved the idea!! It wouldn't hurt to market one that way, I suppose.

It has to be the air-pockets! I stir all my soaps and air gets in there, for sure! One of these days I'll get a stick blender...:rolleyes2

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned on floating soap something that reminded me of this thread. Apparently baking soda will give you that effect over wire whisking or incorporating air, as it builds up oxygene bubbles in your bar. May be something to play around with someday

I've made Whipped Soap using a mixer. Nizzy from Australia helped us with this technique on the whisk.

According to him the more crisco/palm used the more it will float. So the recipe I tried was

Crisco 68%

Coconut oil 12%

Soybean 9%

Lard 6%

Castor 5%

That puppy was light and fluffy and still floats. Here are his instructions:

http://home.exetel.com.au/lozniz/Whipped/index.htm

BTW, I've seen one of his molds too. They are very cool if you cannot afford a Kelsei