Storing Fragrance Oils - the expert tells me...

CareBear

I asked my chemist friend, who works with fragrance oils now, about storing them - and this is what she tells me...

Short answer:

ALL materials are generally better if stored in the refrigerator.

Long answer: The rate of most all chemical reactions is temperature dependent. Generally... increased energy into the system, drives the reaction to go faster... ie: the hotter it is the faster the rate of reaction, the faster the change. FYI: freezing is not usually a good idea, because it can lead to separation of things with different melt points when you change physical states.

Bottom line to remember... REFERENCE material is usually stored in the fridge (4C / 40F), because it is assumed it has changed the least and is closest to the original material.

Glass is ALWAYS the best material for storage. It is impervious to the elements and nothing crosses through it. ALL plastics have some degree of porosity. Packaging people know them by heart, but there are lists for us lay people that tell us very specifically what will and will not cross a particular 'membrane'. Pet IS the best of the plastics, but still not impervious.

Amber glass is the best generally, because the amber color also protects the inside material from light (the other thing that adds energy to a system and drives certain reactions forward).

Hope that helps.

:-)

K

We have a 2nd frig in the garage for overflow from the kitchen frig. I only have room in there for oils and butters. My DH has a fit about the unrefined Shea smell I couldn't imagine his rants w/ the FO. Like Carol said things pass through plastic and most of my bottles from supplies are plastic so the scent does somewhat escape. I keep them stored in a cupboard where its cool and dark.

My friend Karen the Chemist was actually talking about fragrance oils.

This said, the thing with the butters and oils is that they go rancid, I think. Also they may lose some vitamin potency I imagine. So it would be good to store those too.

Thing is, can you store them together? Wouldn't want the FO's to contaminate the butters and oils...

Gotta buy me some GLASS!

We have a 2nd frig in the garage for overflow from the kitchen frig. I only have room in there for oils and butters. My DH has a fit about the unrefined Shea smell I couldn't imagine his rants w/ the FO. Like Carol said things pass through plastic and most of my bottles from supplies are plastic so the scent does somewhat escape. I keep them stored in a cupboard where its cool and dark.

You use the same frig. in the kitchen for oils/butter and your food? Just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to get us this info. IMHO. I think that if you double zip lock bagged your butters and oils they would be fine to store in the same fridge. As far as the food goes. EEEK!! I would keep that separate.

Now on too find amber glass bottles.

Pam (I know I clarified it with you already) but I use the 2nd frig in the garage for overflow food from the kitchen frig, mostly drinks. I brought of oils/butter becuase we've talked about refrigerating them before on here for longevity. I use the bottom 2 shelves and the door of the garage frig for oils and butters. All my FO's are stored in a dark, cool cupboard. TB the small frig in a good idea for the FOs. Like I told Pam putting FOs in the refrigerator shared w/ other foods could cause contamination or spillage not to mention someone accidentally drinking the FO :tongue2:. So I think Carol was talking in general about keeping them cool, that's when I butted in and said I kept just the oils and butters in the frig. Alot of them are interchange B&B and for food prep so I don't have to worry about my kids or DH getting sick. Hope that clarifies :)