Some input on parasoy

I have made a decision to switch from the puresoy. I can't deal with the frosting...although the crisco did help it, I'm just going to use what I have left and switch. I was wondering about the pro's and cons of parasoy. The throw (hot and cold), the repour, the cracking, frosting, etc. If you use, or have used it, please give me your input on it. I'm so affraid to try new things and am all about research...but time is $$ here and am soooooo confused. Thanks all!!

I really can't comment on container candles, but I love my KY para-soy for tarts and clamshells. I've found that it completely does away with the frosting and cracking, my tops always turn out smooth and beautiful. I never have any problem with mold release and the throw is awesome. I generally add 1.5 oz pp and have not had any problems with leaking. I've been pouring between 135-140 and haven't had any sinking or bubbling. I love the fact that it comes in granules too!

I used paraffin for years, then started testing soy a few months ago. I'm now testing JS 50/50 wax and I really like it. It wicks more like a paraffin (which is great for me, lol). I get much less soot than with paraffin and still have a great hot/cold throw. Also, no frosting at all and I can pour hot. I think it's great :D

I know this isn't going to help, but I use pure soy with no additives. I very rarely get frosting, usually it is after burning from cooling down to fast (solved by covering candle once it's out). haven't seen cracks or need to repour (I wait til it is slushy to pour)...maybe if you like the other qualities of soy you could try a different brand? I think experiences with soy are 80% technique and 20% brand characteristics...there are some good alternatives out there, and you can always order a 1lb sample to try. many people have raved about the new golden 464--that it doesn't frost as much and you can pour at a higher temp--there is a whole thread dedicated to test results for it..just search the veg board. I personally use EZSoy from BCN, I've gotten a bit pissed at times with it over the last year...but usually found it was caused by something I was or wasn't doing and after a little tweaking I could fix the issues.

sorry I can't help with your parasoy question, I've never used them or parrafin. there are many people on here who do and I'm sure they'll chime in with some suggestions

I have made a decision to switch from the puresoy. I can't deal with the frosting...although the crisco did help it, I'm just going to use what I have left and switch. I was wondering about the pro's and cons of parasoy. The throw (hot and cold), the repour, the cracking, frosting, etc. If you use, or have used it, please give me your input on it. I'm so affraid to try new things and am all about research...but time is $$ here and am soooooo confused. Thanks all!!

Thanks guys!! I will check out 1 lb. samples and see what I like. I started out w/ paraffin and liked it, the only reason I switched to soy was because of the flakes!! It was more convenient. Unlike most people, I think that they both throw great, and they both do great. I was using the advanced before I switched to the puresoy, and that's when I was having trouble with the cracking around my wicks. Now, it's the frosting. So are you saying that if I pour at much cooler temps., the frosting will be minimized? I will try that also...as I still have about 20 lbs. of it.

Thanks guys!! I will check out 1 lb. samples and see what I like. I started out w/ paraffin and liked it, the only reason I switched to soy was because of the flakes!! It was more convenient. Unlike most people, I think that they both throw great, and they both do great. I was using the advanced before I switched to the puresoy, and that's when I was having trouble with the cracking around my wicks. Now, it's the frosting. So are you saying that if I pour at much cooler temps., the frosting will be minimized? I will try that also...as I still have about 20 lbs. of it.

I pour slushy and with beeswax in my 415 and have no cracking problem around my wicks, and very rare do I get any frosting. Also if your jars are tall, they tend to sink a bit in the center while cooling, haven't found a way around that yet.

Hi Charity,

I did the same thing. I'm now mixing waxes. Blending my soy with pariffin. I'm still working out the kinks but I think it's a much more consistant blend. Grean leafs 70/30 sounds really good but I'm scared to depend on a supplier for the blend. The JS 50/50 sounds good too. But, if I can control the % then I can change it when I need to. Like on the taller jars a higher % of pariffin seems to work better for me. To each his, or HER own. Just play with it till you get what you want. The wicks are the real kicker.

Hillary