C-3 Nature Wax Users - Question

I am really thinking of changing to this wax. (Like what I see and smell so far):smiley2:

I just can't take getting a new batch of 100% soy and having to test and rewick each time. :mad:

I was wondering if any of you have experienced a bad batch of C-3 like the 100% Soy?? (Like needing to rewick your whole line)

Is it a pretty consistant wax?

Of course I know I will need to test this too, but hoping it is not as unprdictable as the 100% soy???:cool2:

TIA

I am testing this wax just for the heck of it, and I'm not getting any hot throw at all. I've even kicked the FO % up to 9, and I'm still not getting hot throw. Cold throw, though, is GREAT. :rolleyes2

Just my experience. :smiley2:

The very first box of wax I ever tested last year when I started making candles was the C3. I had some of the same issues that others had with some of the Golden Foods waxes. I couldn’t get a candle to burn well, no matter what I did. I tried many FO’s, a slew of wicks, and even tested w/o the dye. But no matter what I changed, after the 2nd or 3rd burn, my wicks would drown out and the candle was DOA. I tested for 2 months before I realized from reading posts, that I probably had a bad box of wax. I have since tested many, many other waxes and found one that I am “satisfied” with, though I may go back and try the C3 again, since I have a supplier by my house. That is my only experience with it, for what it is worth. I had ruled out everything else by process of elimination, so I was fairly certain it was the wax.

I have tested just a few candles with the C-3. So far, I am finding it really easy to wick. It seems like I have to wick down with the C-3 Cargill from what I have to do with the CB-3 Calsoy. As far as throw, it gave me a really good throw with the Blueberry Verbena (I think this one would throw well in any wax :D) but it did not throw my Country Grove or Mulled Cider as well as my Calsoy CB-3 but not a lot different. It is hard to say for sure on the scent throw at this point.

I am finding that there are some scents that just won't throw great in a particular wax. Terrie, you may have used some that just won't throw in the C-3. I have several scents though that are must haves for me and if I can't get them to throw in one wax but can in the other, I will choose the other even if it may have some other quirks that I don't like. I notice that the Vanilla Sandalwood and Ginger Lime throws really well in my paraffin but not in my soy. But many of mine throw great in my soy. I use the other in my paraffin wax if they are must haves. :D

The funny (well not actually all that funny) thing is, I will test a wax deligently that is giving me an awesome throw (like my JS-123) and then as time goes on it starts to seem like it does not throw as well. I think it is my nose though because it is the same batch of wax and the same great throwing oils that always threw great to my nose in that wax. I think my nose really goes through a desensitizing time or something.

It can be so different for everyone. lol

~Holly

I have used the Cargill C-3 wax in the past before and it was my fave until I found a local supplier in Cali that carried Calsoy CB3

I found that with the Cargill C-3 you MUST let these cure for at LEAST a week before you can test scent throw. And with some scents you MUST let them cure for at LEAST two weeks. For some reason the trick to this wax is the cure time. :wink2: I have always had great sucess with the RRD wicks with this wax.

Hi Carrie,

I agree, the CB-3 Calsoy can achieve a great throw in even 24 hours. I am not sure if the cure time has helped much with the C-3 Cargill for me yet -- have not tested it enough. I like the fact that I can pour the C-3 hotter and I do get less frosting with the C-3 Cargill than the CB-Calsoy -- this is in my environment and other varibles. I mainly have trouble with the browns, reds, and med. to darks blues with the CB-Calsoy. I may try powdered dyes. Most of the frosting does not bother me at all but with my brown/orange brown, reds and med to dark blue colored candles I get more frost than I like. If the customer will not mind, I won't mind so much. So far, I am sticking with the CB-3 Calsoy and my JS-123 paraffin. :smiley2:

See that goes to show you that different people get different results with waxes sometimes. Cause personally the Cargill C-3 frosted way more than the Calwax CB3 for me and the tops on the CB3 were smoother than the C-3. Iono

I find it that if I pour around 125 for CB3 everything comes out gravy. :wink2:

Isn't that weird Carrie? It could be the difference in dye we use. What brand of dye do you use? I mainly use the liquid dyes from Just By Nature. I do have some other brands for certain colors. I made two candles with the C-3 Cargill that usually give me a lot of frosting with the Calsoy and I hardly had any frosting (almost none). It could be the differences in FO too and I may have a few that produce more frosting in Calsoy than the Cargill than maybe you do. Who knows. lol

It is so strange how it can be the opposite for someone else. However, after the C-3 burns some frosting will appear. When the tops are smooth with the Calsoy they are even smoother and prettier than the C-3 Cargill. But, I can pour the Cargill hotter and still get pretty good tops but not as good as the CB-3 when poured between 125-130 (depending on the FO).

I wish more people here could try the CB-3 Calsoy, but I guess the fact that you can only get it on the west coast is a factor.

~Holly