White swirls in finished candles

I just switched to pure soy and was wondering if the white swirls I'm getting all over the top of the candle after it has set up is normal???? I have zapped it w/ the heat gun a couple of times and it seems to be getting better. If it isn't from the pure soy, what else could it be. I only made one batch w/ it, so I don't know if this will be persistant or not. Thanks to all in advance.;)

I've been test burning a candle that when 1st poured had no frosting. I burned it a couple of times and when I put it out, I would also put the top back on for safety around children. The other night I burned it again, this time I didn't put the top on and after it had cooled their was frosting. Then I saw your post ( made me we want to test a theory) So, I started burning it again this time put the top back after I put it out. No frosting! I guess when I put the top back on after burning it, it helped the soy cool at a slower rate and cut the frosty.

I know I've read alot of people using a little bees wax, frost top or even crisco to help get rid of frosting. I haven't had a chance to experiment with any of them yet. ;)

yep!! That is what they looked like across the top and I didn't like it. It looked like it got messed up in the sun or something. I can't believe that I'm going to have this problem w/ the whole 25 lbs. Glad that's all I got. Thanks for all of the info!!
You'd have that problem with most any straight soy. It may be better to think of 415 as a raw material, like straight paraffin. For best results you can use additives with it.

Straight soy wax is the same thing as vegetable shortening, but the Crisco you buy at the store has additives to smooth it out. If it works when you add it to your wax, it's probably because of the additives rather than the shortening itself.

You can also put in the additives directly. A lot of suppliers are now selling something that has come to be known as "universal soy additive". That's a form of the ingredient called "monoglycerides" that you see on the Crisco label. It smooths out the top and reduces frosting.

Using Crisco doesnt' effect the throw? and won't make it greasy looking? I will try it since I don't have any additives right now. Thank you for all of your input. The batch I made yesterday was the first w/ this wax and I had no idea it would do that. I think I liked my cracks around my wicks better w/ the other soy I was using. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Using Crisco doesnt' effect the throw? and won't make it greasy looking? I will try it since I don't have any additives right now. Thank you for all of your input. The batch I made yesterday was the first w/ this wax and I had no idea it would do that. I think I liked my cracks around my wicks better w/ the other soy I was using. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
I dunno, I never tried using Crisco and don't necessarily recommend it personally. I'd be more inclined to use a more conventional additive, but you can always experiment. The ingredient list for Crisco shotening is practically identical to a lot of veggie soy wax blends.

Alan from Peaks made a Crisco candle on the old CT.

In an actual Crisco can... LMAO!!

He used to do some very wild experiments. Oh the fun we had. :wink2:

I am trying to share the pictures~ but for some ungodly reason, the archives will not load for me to find it.

Here ya go MA......found it. Yeah, those experiments were a riot, LOL!

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1100670458;start=7#7

I would love to see it!! I will try crisco this evening and let ya know how it turns out. Thanks, again!

Pleeeeeaaaaaasssseee, post your results. I've been very curious but have not had time to test it myself. My brother is getting married this weekend and I can't wait until it's over so I can get back testing. I think I'm having withdrawals.LOL:yay:

• 6 months later...

I am new to this but this is what I found out. The first few container candles I made had the swirls in the entire jar.(Ecosoy Advanced) I was very concerned until a friend of mine was looking over my inventory before I put it out for sale. I did not say anything about the swirl jar she had in her hand. She spoke up and said that she "loved the look of it and would buy it just for the appearance", she was not crazy about the FO. It was "leather". I told her that the swirl was not intentional.

Guess what, that jar sold immediately once I got my display set up. I am not sure if she came back and bought it or if someone else did.

I am finding out that what I thought would NOT sell, did sell.

I recently took an un-official poll on what true candle lover's want. Here are the results:

1. scent

2. scent

3. scent

4. appearance

5. price

I tend to agree with my poll. Prior to me making my own candles/tarts/containers, the scent was all I was concerned about. I was and still am not a pillar person purchaser. If I were to be a pillar person, then maybe, the appearance would be a #3 for me, leaving scent 1 & 2.