Small melter recommendations?

I want to get a couple of melters in the range of 20 lbs. capacity. Anybody know of a manufacturer who makes something like that for a reasonable price?

I tried to order Wenesco melters from C&S and, ever the pillars of efficiency, they munged up my order. But I got a look at the product and I have to say if anything ever looked like it was made cheaply it's one of these Wenesco things. I gonna call C&S Monday and bail on the whole thing (hopefully they won't give me problems), but I need a plan B.

Definitely not interested in a turkey fryer. A great way to scorch the wax IMO. Looking for something that heats all the way around.

These cost more than what you were looking at but the construction looks better...To me atleast..lol

www.3candles.com/crf.html

http://www.pourette.com/product.asp?Product_Id=28277&d_Id=7000&l1=7000&l2=

http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=cWax%20Heaters,f1

or maybe buy a Nesco roaster? I hear they take longer to melt the wax but they do have a temp control...maybe that would work?

Thanks for the input so far!

What makes this difficult is needing 2 melters. It forces me to look at the small ones, but it hardly seems worth paying so much to melt so little wax. I've seen these sources but it's all kind of the same deal.

The issue is that I'm making wax blends and need to switch between them without draining/cleaning a melter or having to melt them simultaneously like the 2-well models do.

Thanks Candlesprite, I'm really intrigued by that Nesco suggestion...

If anyone is using the Nesco roasters, do they melt wax reasonably fast and does the temperature control more or less work? One thing I love about this idea is the removable cookwell. By buying extra cookwells I can prepare batches in advance and just drop a pan of wax in the melter. That's very interesting!

Top, I know you are not in favor of the Surf 'N Turf melters, but I have to say, we have had 2 of them in constant use since December. We couldn't do the volume without these. The wax does have an odor in the aluminum pot, but once we pour 3# batches, the odor goes away completely. They hold at least 35# of wax and do a great job. We use 6006 in one and 223/soy in the other. Not a big $ investment!

I have used the turkey roasters for years. I also blend my own wax, & put 2 slabs of wax into each roaster. Initially, it does take a while for the wax to melt, but when it does, I put the temp control at 150 & leave it on all day, only turning it off at night. Overnight it doesn't completely solidify, so the next morning it doesn't take long to remelt the wax. I had one roaster that the thermostat went crazy on, I dumped it & bought 2 more of the same type, GE. I've been using these for 3 years without any problems at all. They were cheap, $26 at Walmart, so for my money, they are perfect.

Pam R

Just a piece of advice. Always take what you need and increase it by at least 50%, if not more. So in other words, look for at least a 30lb melter. The reason I say this is because what you think you need is never enough. I assumed by 70lb melter would be more than enough when i first bought it. Well, it only took one month to realize I was way off track. I now have 4 melters, and somedays that still isn't enough. and if you look at it, what you are paying for in th elong rum for a larger melter is much cheaper than buying yet another new one. Have you looked at the 2 part melters????? Maybe that is what could be more efficient.

I agree that I'm going to need more capacity than I'm shopping for but I can't swing it with the water jacket melters because I need two of them and they're way expensive.

The turkey fryers would be tempting but I'm conservative about not oxidizing the wax. I just don't believe in heating elements being directly immersed in it. I have no doubt you folks are getting good use out of those but call me crazy I just don't have a good feeling about it, especially with one person here having had a fire.

It seems the large Nesco roaster will fit 2 slabs of wax and then some. A few of those plus extra pans and I think I could get by for a while. With the removable pans I love the idea of being able to make pre-blended batches of wax and put them away until needed. It also appears they heat all around.

This is what I have been using for years. I have several of them. I melted 2 slabs yesterday and I think it only took about 45 minutes. I put the lid on. Then take it off and let the impurities come out of the wax. It will hold 30 pounds. They come from Germany and the company here is temporarily out of them, but I think that if you buy two, it meets minimum order for wholesale pricing and it saves some money. I can turn mine off (unplug it) and put on the lid....leave the house to go shopping, and come back to still melted wax......I can pick them up by the handles and pour out wax if necessary and wipe it out with paper towels. The thermostat keeps the wax at the exact temp I need. It heats to 220. Just my two cents. Donita

http://www.khimairafarm.com/weck.htm

Top, I know you are not in favor of the Surf 'N Turf melters, but I have to say, we have had 2 of them in constant use since December. We couldn't do the volume without these. The wax does have an odor in the aluminum pot, but once we pour 3# batches, the odor goes away completely. They hold at least 35# of wax and do a great job. We use 6006 in one and 223/soy in the other. Not a big $ investment!

I am with you bug, I have two of these and I love mine!!

Melts quickly, and have never had a problem with it.

Love the price to..

Hey Top.. Are you going into mass production now??

I have one of the Nesco roasters in my house...was actually just looking at it before I saw this thread thinking it would be good for wax. My question is, would you throw the wax in directly or use the double boiler method for melting the wax? Just wondering.

Small scale production would describe it better.

Hi Top,

I use a 15lb. stock pot and puchased a "drum belt" from a Michigan mfg. that specializes in these for drums of "oil". It has a thermostat and works wonderfully. Doesn't have the fancy outside casing when finished, but the belt only cost me $90, the stock pot was $25 and a tap drilled in the bottom and it works like a charm. The things you can come up with when you worked for an oil recovery company.:yay: