Fragrance in soap ?? why does it disappear after time

TexasBrat

I have had some soaps that lose their scent after even a few weeks after being made. I made some last August and they have absolutely no scent at all and when they were made they were strong. What happens and what can I do differently in the future. I think I have quality oils so I don't understand.

Thoughts?

How are you storing them? If they're just sitting out in the open the outer layer will lose its scent but when you use the soap the scent will come out from the inside. To retain their scent, they should be stored in a covered box together with other soaps of the same scent. Sort of the same way you would store candles to prevent them from losing their scent.

Are the fragrance oils designed specifically for CP soap? Or with candles in mind? Just a thought you might want to consider. If the fo's were specifically developed for soap, you might have better luck. At what rate do you generally soap fragrance? 1 oz. per pound? Or less?

Also some scents are just notorious for not sticking. Citrus eo's come to mind (unless they are folded).

I have them stored on a rack in my living room right now. That may be the problem but after using it in the shower it never was fragrant. I do beleive two of them were candle/b&b safe, that could be it. I also made one using lavender essential oils back in December and they were so strong at first and now they are very faint. I use 1oz per pound. I also make cphp but I try to make sure to use oils with a high flashpoint. I do think my problem is I don't store them in a closed box. I will do that now. Thanks for the info and help.

I personally think its the nature of some FOs. I have some that have remained strong and others that after not much time don't smell. And I've had this happen with FOs made especially for CP soap and that I bought from companies specialing in products for soap makers.

I find lavenders are faders like the citrus', so that could be some of it. Just like candles, storing a pillar in the open will eventually lose its cold throw. Same idea. FOs the same way, some just diffuse out into the air I guess, or chemically change in the basic environment.

After my soaps are good & dry (usually after a 6-week open air cure), I pop them into little bags found at the craft store (Hobby Lobby). These are sold as party favor treat bags. With each soap individually wrapped this way, they keep their scent for a long time. After bagging loosely, I put the soap into a cut-out box.

Thanks AJ, I sometimes feels A LITTLE invisable (maybe I ask to many obvious ??s).

That's an awesome response, I actually thought CP shouldn't be put in plastic bags, I really don't know where I got that misconception. TA :)

Well, I honestly don't know WHAT they are made of -- plastic or what? LOL Not a chemist and there seem to be a million different chemical combinations to get a clear bag. heh heh I just know that another soaper gave me this tip -- said that she used these bags. I've been using them ever since and I think they work great. I don't remember who even told me, but I'm eternally grateful. He he! ;)

Well I figure that even though the label on these bags doesn't say what they are made of, they are intended to hold food items. I figure if they are safe for food, they are safe for soap. :wink2:

Edited to add: I would caution anyone who decides to try this about one thing. Make sure the soaps are good and dry (cured) before putting into the bags.

My soaps do better in cardboard boxes than in the plastic boxes. I think they can breathe a bit better in the cardboard but I still have several kinds in the plastic shoe boxes from Walmart. I drilled a hole in each side of the box for a bit of air.

Well these bags I use don't suck the fragrance out. In fact, you can't even smell the soap through the bag, which is one drawback when you're at shows and markets! So I take an unwrapped "display sample" bar so folks can get a good sniff. :)

It is polypro, that I know w/ confidents :cool2: that keeps scents in. Since AJ can't smell the scents, its sounds like that's what she has. Tara did any awesome co-op a month ago and I was so impressed w/ these polypro bags. I have been in a few co-ops where the bags weren't polypro and things didn't have a scent but the inside of the bags did (so I found out first hand about the sucking of scents from the product). I was lucky to have been told this tip a few years back when I started candles. For some reason (not the fragrant reason) I thought I had read CP doesn't need wrapping to maintain its fragrance. SO GLAD I read this thread, as I'm a newbie to the whole CP thing and would have left the soaps on the rack till they sold. My husband took my utility room that had a closet in it and added more wire shelves top to bottom to house the drying soaps. I thought the wire shelving would be perfect for drying purposes. Since the air can get to all sides, should I still rotate them?

I shrink wrap my soaps after about a week of curing. Over time they continue to cure because the shrink wrap loosens a bit, but a zap with the heat gun gets it all tight again! I've had soaps sitting out in the garage that were exposed to the heat of summer and the cold of winter and still have scent. I do have a tendency to over scent my soaps and so they are usually much better after a year or so!:shocked2:

I shrink wrap my soaps after about a week of curing. Over time they continue to cure because the shrink wrap loosens a bit, but a zap with the heat gun gets it all tight again!
Good idea. I had some soaps wrapped with paper around them and after a few weeks the paper got looser and looser.