Question about J-223

I'm no expert, but I have a suggestion. Try pouring them cooler or letting them cool more slowly. Some people put them in the oven (with the oven slightly warm but turned off). Some put a cardboard box on top of them. It may help... in the meantime, you can heatgun the tops to even them out.

I used to use a keepsake or terrance jar and had no problems with this wax. Then I switched to a taller antique/victorian jar, wider at the top than the bottem. I ended up with huge crators and cracks in the wax around the wick. Tried pouring hotter, cooler, into room temp jars and warmed jars.. all the same. Finally poured a bit lower, not going as full, keeping some of the wax to warm up and to off. Now no longer a one pour, but no longer messing with the heat gun. Would rather top off anyday. Shape of jar has something to do with how this wax performs.

Oh that's good to know. I was just using regulr apothecary jars. I bet the wax was really hot and cooled too quickly. And I probably poured to fast. I'll try to cool them slower and if that doesn't work, I will switch jars. Thank y'all!

Hi Lauren! I used to live in Baton Rouge many years ago. I went to LSU. Yay Tigers!

I used J233 for a while and had the same problem. I also use apothecary jars so I know how you feel. J233 is not completely a no repour wax. At least not for me.

So I switched to the J50 and no more problem. I still have some J233 left but only use it on very small containers like 10 or 8 oz jars.

Oh so I bet it's easy for you to pick supplies up at Cajun Candle Factory! I find that's the cheapest place, as far as delivery goes, for me.

Well, Kaplan is still quite a drive and I haven't made it out there yet. I'll have to check their stuff and see what they have... I ordered some dyes from them a while ago, so if they have what waxes I want, gas may be cheaper than shipping!

I also use J223 and have been having trouble with BIG wet spots and air bubbles. While on the IGI website yesterday, I noticed they suggest pouring J223 in heated containers and pouring at 145-155. I'm going to remelt some of mine because they looked so bad; mostly 11.5 oz. Salsa and 16 oz. mason. The 10 oz. keepsakes were ok.I had poured these in heated jars at the correct temp and let them slow cool in the box they came in but the longer they sat, the worse they looked. I'm on my last case of wax....don't know whether to stay with 223 or switch to J50.

I also use J223 and have been having trouble with BIG wet spots and air bubbles. While on the IGI website yesterday, I noticed they suggest pouring J223 in heated containers and pouring at 145-155. I'm going to remelt some of mine because they looked so bad; mostly 11.5 oz. Salsa and 16 oz. mason. The 10 oz. keepsakes were ok.I had poured these in heated jars at the correct temp and let them slow cool in the box they came in but the longer they sat, the worse they looked. I'm on my last case of wax....don't know whether to stay with 223 or switch to J50.

It can't hurt to try the J50. If you do, let me know what you think. And if I try it, I will let you know. From what I hear, that's what this is all about...Experimenting!!

I finally got all the air bubbles and wet spots out with the hot air gun. Sure was alot of them but now I will sleep better. Hope they don't come back in the morning. I never saw such ugly candles. Maybe I poured to fast which I thought I did it like I always did. But I did everything else right as far as heating and cooling the jars. It really was a mess and I was ashamed to show them to anyone. I don't know whether to keep the J223 or switch to J50. I hate to try new wax not knowing what to expect but I will let you know if I do. I still have 3 slabs left and my daughter is heading back to Texas Friday so she can pick wax up for me. I have to decide quick.

i have been using j233 for 3 years, it seems just in the past 6 months the texture has changed, i even had to wick up on some scents. you may want to randomly test some to check , i hate the dimple around the nipples!! i have to take the heat gun to them. one thing i found worked for me is to put the lid on them while still warn and they seem to not dimple as much some i dont even have to heat gun.. i am praying i dont have to test all over again. i hve been asking some of my regular customers if they have noticed a difference.

hth

I have used J223 for several years. I bought several cases 2-3 years ago and just finishing my last case. I don't make candles full time as you can tell. This last case is kicking me in the A$$ with all the spots and bubbles. I will probably just continue with J223 cause I don't want to start with new wax. Does IGI give samples of there waxes??? I would be willing to try a sample.

Happy Mother's Day to all!!

No air bubbles but still have some wet spots that cover 1/4-1/3 of jar. I didn't want to see this again this morning but they are back. Where's my trusty little air gun? :angry2:

So when you see those wet spots (which I have on mine), you blast the side of the jar where the spot is? BTW, i have no experience with wax, but I like the J223. I was thinking the other day just what Top said, there's no perfect wax. And they probably will be inconsistent.Oh well!:rolleyes2 {{{SIGH}}}

If your wet spots aren't bad, I would say leave them. Mine cover 1/4-1/3 of the jar and they look really bad. When I zap it with the air gun I get lots of air bubbles still coming up. I've never had this before. The wax will be worn out before the candle is ever burned as much as I melt down the sides. Will this cause a problem in the way they burn if they ever get burned??

Hi everyone,, I have used the J223 and it is a great wax,,,I dont heat my jars or molds in the oven because simply they get to hot when you pour and if you pour to hot, it will cause Bubbles. I zap my jars and molds just a wee bit. you must adjust the temp if you heat your molds or jars.,,,,,

The first thing I learned here was " Embrace your wetspots" All candles can get them especially in cool places. If you go into a store you will notice they get them too. It doesnt effect the burn or Scent. Cooling them slowly sometimes helps.

HTH,,,

Guest Milkmaid

I use J223 and I only do a pound at a time and I use 8oz jj'.

With that said here is what works for me.

I have found thru much poor planning , interuptions and neglect during my candle pouring process that NOT warming the jars and NOT trying to slow the cooling process in any way has given me a much flatter top on my candles. I still have a slight dip at the wick but not nearly as dramatic as it was when I warmed the jars and let them sit in the oven to set up. I put the wicked jars on a cookie sheet and pour them and let them sit on the counter.

I know this sounds crazy and flies in the face of all conventional wisdom but for me this works. The wet spots are still there but I swear even those arent as bad. Also, I dont keep it real warm in my kitchen ( maybe around 67 degrees ). The only thing that I have noticed is sometimes ( and this could be from not having perfectly clean jars or pouring at 140ish instead of 150 ) I get jump lines.

The candles that I make are only for me so a few jump lines dont bother me.

The only things I really care about are scent and soot.