luster crystals

Does about the same thing as stearic (harden wax, increase opacity), but has a 50 degree difference in melpoint. I'd probably stick with stearic if you want to have those "benefits" since it would be easier to incorporate - but honestly I wouldn't use either unless you had a specific need.

i wanted to use it because soy pillar candles are very matte and I wanted to give it a bit of gloss. Is that not what Luster Crystals are for?

Nat

Luster crystals are polyethylene, which is an additive that's sometimes used with paraffin wax. I've never heard of anyone using it with soy so I don't think we know what it will do. It's kind of a shot in the dark. As Henryk pointed out, you'll have to get your wax pretty hot to melt them. I'm not sure of the exact melting point, but Gloss Poly is a similar substance and the MP of that one is over 200 degrees.

cool - in that case let me be the first to test! Think I'll heat the crystals first, turn the heat down and then add the soy and see what happens. Will keep you posted!
I don't think you'll get it to mix that way. There needs to be some wax present as the polyethylene melts or you'll never get it incorporated. Unfortunately that bit of wax will need to be heated over 220 degrees I think. You'll need a presto pot or some other source of direct heat.

yup - got me a presto pot despite the presto company not selling them in the UK - I bought one, blew it up then bought another and run it from a massive 1500 watt transformer - works great and is my new best friend - my husband thinks I'm having an affair with it as I spend so much time with it :P

From my notes, MP is 195F. I remember when I was using that and paraflint, you are going to have to keep your soy up to that temp and stir until this kind of additive is really incorporated - if not, it will separate out - it will look like transparent slime :)

From my notes, MP is 195F. I remember when I was using that and paraflint, you are going to have to keep your soy up to that temp and stir until this kind of additive is really incorporated - if not, it will separate out - it will look like transparent slime :)
Where did you find the melt point? I thought this one might be the Poly AC-6A but the MP doesn't match.

candlewic (Gloss Poly C-15)
I think the best we came up with so far is this but I don't know if it's right.

Gloss Crystals = Eastman Epolene C-15 (polyethylene)

Luster Crystals = Honeywell Poly AC-A6 (polyethylene)

Translucent Crystals = Sasol Paraflint H1 (Fischer-Tropsch)

Clear Crystals = Degussa Vestowax (Fischer-Tropsch)

Also there is AC Poly 400 and Dupont Elvax which are ethyl vinyl acetate.

Yes, I have that list my notes too! - from the discussion on the general board. Candlewic posts it as C-15 though so I was just going by them. In my spreadsheet of additives I just integrate all the information I found from various sources and go by the preponderance of evidence. Best I can do.

Yes, I have that list my notes too! - from the discussion on the general board. Candlewic posts it as C-15 though so I was just going by them. In my spreadsheet of additives I just integrate all the information I found from various sources and go by the preponderance of evidence. Best I can do.
OK I did a little more poking around. It seems you can't go by the name because there are 2 products called Luster Crystals. If it looks like angular transparent pellets it's Epolene C-15 and if it looks like white powder or granules it's Poly AC-6A.

I only want to try it if it will make my candles shiny. Is that what it's supposed to do?

Can't wait to have a go - will report back once I've regained consiousness from the fumes and my eyebrows grow back.

i wanted to use it because soy pillar candles are very matte and I wanted to give it a bit of gloss. Is that not what Luster Crystals are for?

Nat

Luster crystals are polymer based- they are not commonly used or formulated for soy wax. They do make a nice white candle and increase burn time in paraffin applications. However I do not think the molecular structure will bind with soy even when melted. It would be an interesting experiment.

If you are looking to "gloss" your candles. I would recommend the spray version of Candle Luster or a quick blast of the heat gun and some fine grade cosmetic glitter applied to the outer walls of the pillar.

http://www.thecandlemaker.com/productDetails.asp?productID=168