craf shows listing

hey guys I am new at candle making and i want to be prepared to do shows this coming fall. I cannot for the life of me get information on crafts shows in my area. all the sites that I have gone to do not show my area. I need to start registering and requesting off work. any suggestions as to where I can look or somewhere i can go and ask for a craft show schedule? The newspaper always has a listing but its too late by then.

She may be 4 months into the "candle making" stuff.. She may have poured her first candle less than a month ago, but she could have been studying , taking notes and ingesting the info into her brain. Come on, lets give her the benefit of the doubt!

Christina

hey guys I am new at candle making and i want to be prepared to do shows this coming fall. I cannot for the life of me get information on crafts shows in my area. all the sites that I have gone to do not show my area. I need to start registering and requesting off work. any suggestions as to where I can look or somewhere i can go and ask for a craft show schedule? The newspaper always has a listing but its too late by then.

Try phoning your local schools, both public and private, to see if they are hosting any craft fairs. In my community, our local public high school hosts a huge two-day craft fair every fall to benefit the marching band. The private high school hosts two craft fairs a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. Even some of the elementary schools host craft fairs. They are a great way to break into the craft fair circuit. I did my first craft fair last fall and a few hours before it ended, we vendors received flyers and applications to other upcoming craft fairs in the area.

In your first post on April 10th (less than a month ago) you said "i poured my first candles the other day."

Doesn't sound like 4 months ago to me. Here we go again folks.

Sorry, but I have to agree. I think it's too soon for you to be selling. Most people test for about 8 months to a year before thinking about selling. Just my opinion though.

i want to be prepared to do shows this coming fall. I cannot for the life of me get .

I agree it would be too soon right now to sell, but she is talking about wanting to be prepared to do shows in the fall.. I think she is just looking for info :-)

ok to Itsmejeffd, I am really offended by your comment. What exacly does "here we go again folks" mean? I have been researching candles for four months is what I meant. There is so much information out there I didnt know what to buy etc.

yes I agree that it is too early to sell. I want to visit craft shows and scope out my competition. If I can get a booth for a really cheap price im going to do it to get my feet wet. My mother does stained glass art and we were going to go halves of a spot.

Even though I only poured my first candle last month, I have been pouring none stop ever since and I already have three "recipes" if you will ready to be made in bulk, already tested and 100 % approved. Thanks to this forum and all my research that I have been doing to the last four months has really helped me save money and time.

:cheesy2:

I will definatly go to the school and see what i can come up with im also going to call the newspaper and see what they have scheduled to list for the fall.

Thanks guys

Bella,

If you have been reading posts here for the last 4 month, you have certainly come across people who pour one candle and think they're experts. They end up using one size wick for every combination of wax, FO, container & dye. Here's a perfect example:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603

I personally talked to someone who called themself a candlemaker at a craft show last month who readily admitted this:

"I don't need to test my candles anymore. I tested the first one and it burned well so I've stuck with that formula. I put the fragrance oil on a cotton swab and if it smells good, I put it in wax and sell it."

I nearly screamed! This is what gives those of us who diligently test, test and re-test each and every one of our products, a bad name.

The first sentence you wrote to open this thread was "hey guys I am new at candle making and i want to be prepared to do shows this coming fall." What conclusion do you expect someone to come to? If, on the other hand, you had said something like "I have been reading and researching candlemaking for the last 4 months and have recently started making some. Hopefully by this coming fall I will be ready to start selling...", I would have come to the conclusion that you have taken your time and are serious about this.

If you noticed, I did give you the benefit of doubt. After dcroome's post, I apologized. I think most people here will agree that I am not one to start bashing people for the fun of it. It just gets a bit frustrating seeing people, like the one in the link above, jump in here and think they're ready to sell a dozen different fragrances in a week or month. I too, am very new to this. I lurked here for about 2 months before joining in October. My initial intention was to learn enough to make a safe home-made Christmas present for family members. After several thousand dollars, that interest has quickly become an obsession.

I applaud your efforts to learn and research this craft.

Bella Soy I agree that was just plain rude:cry2: Im sorry you were treated that way, I too did alot of research before I started, and the fact that your researching for fall now only shows that you have great inititive and are in a business frame of mind, I wish you all the luck im sure you will do well:yay:

what state so you live in? I might be able to help you find some shows;)

Rachel

I live in PA but about 5 minutes from MD as well so anything in those two states....thanks for your support I dont feel that i need to have 20 different scents and size jars to sell at a craft show. If I can get at least 5 scents and maybe two jar styles ill be fine...to start out with....and its not like im going to spend 100 for a booth and just sell my candles. I have a mother that makes stained glass and a friend that makes her own dried flower wreaths so we are going to go in with three of us. I just want to get the experiance under my belt. I am well aware that it takes a a long time to start selling. When I buy a FO I test about four candles ...different waxes, different wics etc. when I test a wick i test it against different FO's Different containers etc....so its not like im half assing my testing.

anyways anoyone that has a listing or knows of a book that comes out with the listings in Pa please let me know I greatly apreciate it.

check our out festivalnet.com they have 15 for pa and 11 for md, I wish I had as many to do around here:cry2:. They seem to be the best site ive found for craft shows. I hope it helps:cheesy2: What kind of 5 scents do you have so far?

rachel

ps just click on the state your interested in-k-:cool2:

Guys,

Who made the rule that you have to graduate from candle school to sell candles. It is suppose to start out as a craft. An artform that you are suppose to enjoy doing. Alot of people do months and months of research alone and while they do it they get their hands on. If you are confident enough and you have the this beautiful quality candle that people enjoy. Share it with other people. None of us on this board are Multibillion dollar business's from making candles. We know who the big boys are we would like to be like them. But there candles are made by computerized assembly lines that pump these out. That is the specialty of our candles they are made with our blood sweat and tears. ALL of us learn something new everyday about candle making. Even the ones who have been doing this a while are learning about new wax formulations every month. I think all the 444, 464, 474 threads are proof enough. I have seen the more prominant candle makers and there is only one member on this whole board that I have seen exceptional work beyond all others and she helps other candlers out gracefully. I agree you have to understand the basics of physics and pyrotechniques just to launch a good burning candle but boy I have bought some nasty candles out their from big business's that don't care about the perfect candle and they have been in business for years instead of months.

I haven't been doing it long either. But I love doing it so much that I have researched every aspect including marketing and sales. I have tested. I have bought. I eat, sleep and think candles. When that is final I will move on to soaps because I love them too! Experience doesn't always matter. Its knowledge. So many people get bent out of shape if a newer member wants to jump out there, so what! Some people are more agressive than others, in the business field that works. Some people pick up on it faster.

Bella go for it. Most people start out at craft shows. You have to begin somewhere. So take that first step if you are proud of your product.

Bella you have been doing it for 4 months well I would say by fall it will make about 9 months of testing. So I think you will be qualified enough.

I usually dont say much on here, but I feel I have to on this one. First off, her opening line did lead us to believe that she was relatively new. I agree, you dont have to graduate from candle college to sell, but you also should, and its just my opinion, test and retest for at least 8 months or longer. I am not bashing anyone, but really get tired of seeing everyone get all bent out of shape over these posts. This forum is here for us to help eachother. Jeff did apologize and that should have been the end of it. I can see her point about wanting to get some experience and information. The best way to see about upcoming craft shows is to check thru your local chamber of commerce. Now come on people... chill out... just my 2 cents.

I usually dont say much on here, but I feel I have to on this one. First off, her opening line did lead us to believe that she was relatively new. I agree, you dont have to graduate from candle college to sell, but you also should, and its just my opinion, test and retest for at least 8 months or longer. I am not bashing anyone, but really get tired of seeing everyone get all bent out of shape over these posts. This forum is here for us to help eachother. Jeff did apologize and that should have been the end of it. I can see her point about wanting to get some experience and information. The best way to see about upcoming craft shows is to check thru your local chamber of commerce. Now come on people... chill out... just my 2 cents.

I agree WV :-)

Jeff did apologize and I only know Jeff from this board and he isnt a troublemaker :-) I normally would have read her post and thought the same thing, but sat back a minute and tried to rethink what she wrote. :-)

Christina

My comment wasn't to Jeff. It was in General. Who came up with the concept of 8 months? Is that in the rule book somewhere? Does the National Candle Association list that in there guidelines? Some people have tested for eight months or longer and still haven't got a clue on candlemaking. Its creativity, knowledge and patience. Like I said some people just catch on faster than others and have the time energy and initiative to move faster. Some of us stay at home moms can test way more than the average working joe because we are home all day and night to sit with 10 burning candles. So it puts us ahead in testing (not to offend working people, I miss being out there myself)

So you do all you can.

Lets put it this way. We come to this board. Because there is so many varieties of candle makers. We compare notes. We gripe about our mistakes or our suppliers. We ask advise. We give it and we make other friends. There is so much learning to do on this board that it puts people ahead. One little craft show isn't you own line of Ergo or Votivo candles its a start and it makes people feel good if they are ready to show off their work. There is nothing wrong with craftshows when I have seen people spend a grand or two putting up websites and all they have is one product to offer in a world that likes variety. That is presumptious.

I personally I love to come to this sight because I love seeing other peoples creativity. It's inspiring.

I will sell the candles that I have tested and had tested for me. By fall I plan to have at least two different size containers and 8 scents. I plan to have my logo desgned and businss cards ready to hand out. Maye even a website.

I know, its a tall order, however I am very driven and i WILL accomplish all the above tasks by this fall and it wont be half assed either. I like to think that i have had good luck so far with my testing. All my fo's are thowing great. The only issue that I have had to deal with so far is finding a close supplier to save on shipping and wet spots (which by the way I have learned to love)

I feel that I will be ready to go by fall to sell what I have tested so far. I dont care how long some people say you should test. Thats crap. its all about the dedication,time and effort that is put into testing. If you work 9 hours a day seven days a week of course it will take time to test before you can sell. but there are people out there that dont work and have 9 hours a day to make and test candles how do you know that I not one of them??

I would appreciate this topic to be closed and forgotten about....sorry or the uproar that i may have caused.

http://www.midatlanticcrafterexpo.com/

How far are you from this event?

I am thinking about going myself. I have talked to the lady running it and it seems like it will be worth the trip for me.

If you aren't able to find shows on craftlister through their search, post a message on their forum, I believe there are alot of members from your area.

Best of luck with your new venture.

I checked out that site and it seems like it would be a great thing to go to. I am only 1 hour away from Anapolis MD. Its just trying to remember when the time comes to get tickets and go! I wrote it on my calender for November to remind myself to check out the site more when they have more information

I know this is totally irrelevant but isn't "Bella Soy" one of those companies that claim you can make all these big bucks selling candles?

Oh wait.. That is Mia Bella. I know I saw a story on our local "about town" show and someone was making candles.

Hers were called "Bella Soy" and I got so mad at the TV I was yelling at it. They were making all these false claims. Saying things like "burning soy candles is good for you because soy is all natural" and We use essential oils but then listing one of the scents as cinnamon buns :rolleyes2

Of course, this was around the St Louis area, and not in MD/PA

Well, on to the subject at hand. The best way to find shows is to read read read. Be sure to read the local papers and check the bulletin boards of places you frequent (like quick stores and supermarkets). That's a good way to keep on top of things. Also, you can do a Google search for "Craft shows in _____ (whatever area you need)" and see what comes up. You would be surprised sometimes what you can find that way.