Dirty Wax

have any of you had to deal with this issue and what did you about it?

Ive noticed on the bottom of my votives that there are particles of dirt. And bottom of some jars.GRRRRR.

Ive used tulle (lol) , a type of straining cloth you use for making jelly, old pieces of clothing to pour thur .Its such a pain to do this.Is this just a way of life for making candles?

Theres a dirt road in front of my house that a lot of trucks and cars use and I noticed when the wind is up, more dust in the air. I keep the door to my shop closed most of the time (Texas heat).Keep my pots covered with plactic bags, but Im still having this problem.

Wow! I think it's definately the dirt road plus the dry Texas air. I live in LA and it's so humid here, we don't really have that problem. But up until a couple weeks ago, we were actually in a drought! The air got pretty dusty. One thing you can do is make sure the door in your shop is not only closed at all times but make your shop is air tight. If it's not, you will have dust seeping in. Go around, check for cracks around the door, feel for a draft, etc. You might be surprised what you will find and to be honest, no one has an completely airtight house.

I use an old pair of panty hose. There is alot of debis in the wax from the supplier. I noticed all the stuff in the bottom of my jars also, then I started using panty hose inside a big tea strainer. I dont use the wax until it has been strained into my pour pots.

Laurie

If you are using a presto pot with a spout tie a double layer of panty hose over the spout opening, it sure does help.

Also anyone starting with a new presto pot install the spout slightly above the bottom of the pot, that way the debris will settle to the bottom of the pot and not come out the spout, unless the wax is stirred.

If you are using a presto pot with a spout tie a double layer of panty hose over the spout opening, it sure does help.

Also anyone starting with a new presto pot install the spout slightly above the bottom of the pot, that way the debris will settle to the bottom of the pot and not come out the spout, unless the wax is stirred.

AHHAAA! Good one, thanks for that Candle Man! I do have gritty little things at the bottom of some tarts. No matter how much I clean that Presto, I can't get rid of it...it's maddening!

So, um, where'd ya get the panty hose? ;)

Got to where I check my pouring pot before I add anything to see if there are any pieces in it. I use a paper towel clothspined on and strain through it. Some towels work better than others. The new Bounty Basic strain really fast. Started using them all the time cause they rip off good.