Palm Wax Pillars

Hi everyone,

I made a beautiful Vineyard scented purple palm pilar. And the wicking shredded from the opeining. So I have a useless candle. I think I am going to use the wick centering tool. Does anyone have any advise what is a good pretabbed wick for feather palm wax? and what size works for 3 inch diameter. I usually like the CD, Eco's and LX.

What do you mean by the " wicking shredded by the opening?"

The only time I used a pretabbed wick in palm pillars was an LX-28 for patchouli. I'm pretty sure HenryK did some testing. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Breanna,

I noticed in a previous thread you were noticing the slight burning smell with the 700's too. Can you tell with palm wax? I still have all my samples if they work great with pillars. I see a lot of posts for RRD's. Maybe I will try them. I just love the outcomes of this palm wax. I was so excited when the votive especially just popped out. As soon as I figure out the wicking for 3 inches. It will be more fun to figure out colors and different scents.

Thank you also Sheila for finding that post it was a great help. I love palm pillars and votives and they really were not that hard to make at all.

Breanna,

I noticed in a previous thread you were noticing the slight burning smell with the 700's too. Can you tell with palm wax? I still have all my samples if they work great with pillars. I see a lot of posts for RRD's. Maybe I will try them. I just love the outcomes of this palm wax. I was so excited when the votive especially just popped out. As soon as I figure out the wicking for 3 inches. It will be more fun to figure out colors and different scents.

Hi Stacien,,Actually NO I didnt smell it with the palm wax,,,I like them with this wax,,,Soy, they smell, paraffin they smell to me. But when I tried the palm wax it didnt,,,The RRDs seem to burn hotter so I would try this with your pillars. I have heard excellent results for the pillars using these wicks and I use a 3x6.5 Pillar,,HTH

Thanks Breanna,

you have been so helpful. Now I am going to track down some RRD's. I think I am just going to collect an inventory of all the wicks. I am assuming I need to burn a lot hotter with the votives too? I usually use 44 cottons. Have you tried the 700's on them yet?

Not sure what you are gonna do with the now wickless pillar, but in my past experience, if you remelt it and repour it, it is going to turn dark blue instead of purple. Not sure if it makes a diff. to you, but just thought i would mention it.

I have been using the 700 series on the palm feathering and love it!!! Finally found a use for them,,LOL,,,you can try RRD37 and RRD39's for Pillars,,,

Breanna or anyone.. Do you know where the best place to find the RRD's and 700 series wicks??

Christina

Kerry,

I wasn't going to remelt it. I was just testing this one to see if it worked. I really like the cold throw so I thought I would put it in my kitchen, I have a wine and grapes theme going on. Half the people that walk through it don't know anything about candles. They will just look at the design instead of the gimpy wick. I will make it my official first palm. I added red to it to brighten the purple up a bit so It would be an interesting repour.

Do they make RRD's longer than 6inches?
I haven't noticed anyone selling them longer as premade assemblies, but I can think of 2 other options. Candlewic will make them for you any way you want if you can buy 500. It would probably be less than 30 bucks, which is pretty economical. But what I would do if I were you is go to Candles & Supplies. They actually sell prewaxed rolls of RRD wicking. Get one of those along with some sustainer bases and a bead crimping tool. I'm sure you'd find it very interesting to be making your own assemblies.

I was wicking my own pillars for pillar blends but this wicking is so thick it rubs on the opening and shreds. I though it would be just easier using a wick pin and threading it. Any options?

That is what I want to do Breanna. The question is how do I find lond enough RRD's say for a 3x6 or a 3x9 pillar then what. Isn't the standard wick length 6 iches? Do they make RRD's longer and where to get them. What a chore that would be to have to dip my own wicks. Are RRD's nice and stiff like 700's?

HI and yes they are stiff like the 700's,,,If you buy the RRDs in a roll and are prewaxed they are just as good as ones already made with a tab on the bottom, this is how I do mine. Now as Top said in his post Candlewic will make them as long as you want them but you have to pay for 500. I dont know where to tell you to go for wicks longer then 6 inches. I hope if there is a place someone would post it!!;) Im sorry I could not be of more help to you.

You can buy rolls of RRD at Candlewic, and then just dip the wick in your melting wax, let it cool a bit and using a paper towel, just run it over the wicking. Then just add your wick tab and you're done. Now you can make your wick any length you want. I love the spooled wicking, as I have several molds that are quite long.

I am willing to try the roll as long as they are prewaxed. I would prefer not to use a clip anyway. I have a pillar holder that has prongs on it and it won't take wick clips I want to give that option. Maybe I will by a sample pack of RRD's try it on a 3x4 to size it and if it burns well then buy the rolls. What size do you use for palm votives? I imagine the largest size for votives since it is a harder wax. I still have a whole bunch of 700's to play around with too.

Thanks Breanna you are great!!!