in search of handy lye

elixir71

went to home depot yesterday-

bought some crystal lye (zep)

the only ingredient listed was NaOH. I was suspicious but impulsively bought it anyway. My suspicions grew when I opened the can and the crystals were blue. In a soap making fervor I gave it a shot...

I dont recommend doing this. A violent reaction ensued, causing me to look up the MSDS on the net. Needless to say, it contained aluminum and other unsavory for soap ingredients. I did find one @ the local ace hardwhere store that does claim to be 100% lye but for now, methinks I will just wait for my online lye order to arrive.

If anyone decides to take over where Red Devil left off they are going to be very popular.

Hey, glad your OK as well. You can try some local chemical companys to see if they have lye and will sell to you, some are picky and won't, we had to go through about 4 companys before one said yes, they are afraid of the liability, understandably

Elle

So far there is still red devil on the shelf at the local grocery store. Not a whole lot but there is some. They are selling them for 2/$5.00. Then I guess if I want more it is off to Lowe's or order off the net.

Brambleberry sells lye now also..

I purchase mine from a chemical supply store. The only "problem" is that they have a # minimum.... 300# to be exact but I never run out of lye! ;)

HTH.

300 lbs!!!!!!! wow! I thought I was never gonna run out with 55 lbs...

I asked the same question on this board last week and peeps were gracious in sharing that it can be found at Lowes. They have 2 lb. containers in the plumbing dept.

Brand name is Roebic. Yellow and red containers. $ 7.66 ea. It was a lot quicker and maybe ? cheaper than ordering and paying shipping if you have one around close.

Hey midwesterners!

www.ulrichchem.com

Has lye and it is cheapola!! You will wonder why you ever bought those little cans! Also, get yourself a nice air tight container and store it if you don't need that much - you'll use it eventually! :)

hey I looked on thier list and didn't see sodium hyrdroxide..do you have to call?