what would you of done?

My husband says I shouldn't use my do onto others as you'd want onto yourself motto in business like I did today.... so I have to ask.....

I have been trying to get ready to get a booth in a nearish by newer craft store. My mom has been a crafter for yeeaaars and recently entered this shop. When she got in she mentioned my candles (though I was no were near ready) and they were reallll excited as they have 0 soy candles in the shop and said they'd wait till I was ready - saving a booth for me. So long story short.... its been months, I am ready but getting in a different shop this month so time is short. The owner of the said craft store called today... told me she had the perfect booth for me - right in the front middle of the store. She was calling to ask me (this is the kicker) if she could allow another soy candle maker in the shop. She said she has been trying to put the other candle maker off for a couple months now but wondered if I would mind (assuming I would say NO COMPETITIORS). She gave me the other candlers website and asked me to check it out to see if I thouhgt it would be ok or no. SO I checked it .... funny and small world, of course since were both from the same area we both use the same scents (neither of us change the names) and same supplier. However we dont make the same size containers and she makes tarts/votives - I do not. Totally different look as well.

I told her competition is healthy and of course she could let her in. Negative for the other candler is as I was first I get the front booth and they'll be in back. Store owner will be telling other candler we use the same FO's so its her choice.

Sorry that got so long.

I think you handled it just right. Like everyone else has said, competition is good. It keeps us on our toes! For me, competition also keeps my creative juices flowing. If I had no competition, I'd probably always stick with the status quo and never try anything new.

Just had to say there is an Enchanted Florist here in my town, it is a florist LOL, I actually have some of my products in their shop. It is the most relaxing place to go, waterfalls everywhere and of course beautiful flowers

Just had to say there is an Enchanted Florist here in my town, it is a florist LOL, I actually have some of my products in their shop. It is the most relaxing place to go, waterfalls everywhere and of course beautiful flowers

I licensed the name a couple of years ago (partner dropped out and its been on hold till I can go it alone) ... my goal is to someday open a floral shop/cafe with of course my candle line in it (thats why I used the name -- thinking of the bigger picture - dreamer) and some scrapbooking area/crafts. Like the one in your area when I did my business plan years ago it to had a very serene peaceful feel to the place - somewhere you'd want to go to relax, drink some yummy coffee and maybe use some scrapbook punches to fiddle. Now with a growing family I have decided the above will need to wait about 5-10 years and in the meantime I will perect and hopefully make $ with my candles.

For all of you that thought I was upset (? maybe its how I read your posts) .... nope, I was actually honored/shocked that the shop owner asked me if I would allow her in, with out my OK the other candler wouldnt have been allowed in the shop. To me thats crazy!!! the other shop Im getting in when I 1st was ok'd to be in they had 0 soy candles but alot of paraffin. In the 6 months it has taken me to perfect (or try) at least 10-15 venders have either switched to soy or been allowed in :( and Im still ok with going in there (another shop I have the BEST location in :)

Thanks for all your words of wisdom I enjoy reading what others have to say.