aroma beads

LauraInNY

I'm going to be different :rolleyes: They don't expand like the water crystals- not even close BUT mine expand alittle. The only way I know is that twice I have put them in a small container almost to the top added the FO and a day later I couldn't shake them as they expanded to fill the jar (and to add to that its happened w/ some FO's and not others :confused: )

Too cute, what's the scent?

Can't answer about what sells better. I've been working on the smelly jellys for a LONG time and not happy enough to sell them. I just started w/ the beads last week on my site. I am giving a free sachet w/ every order to hopefully jump start them! I think its a GREAT car freshner. TexasBrat do they lose any scent strength when you bake them? Seems like they would BUT I want to try it. :)

The scent is cinnamon and is still going strong and I made that one a month ago. I bet it would get a stronger scent if in the heat. I have not put it in my car but I should for a test. I read somewhere that someone lives in South Texas and she put hers in her car and it did not melt. I think they would be great for the Holidays.

Quite honestly, I didn't like making them, it was a pain.

I think I read somewhere that the aroma beads last 4-6 weeks. I think crystals only last 3? weeks (crs big time) You should try it in your car. With the heat, it should smell yummy...

They made it sound so easy on the site I saw them on (bittercreek). Maybe if they aren't as detailed as yours, TexasBrat. Though it looks awesome!! I think I will try them. I was going back and forth with beads and crystals and I think I am going to try the beads. At least it's not a huge investment to try it.

How much scent did you use pp of beads?

Thanks so much for the offer. :) I already ordered some and have to pick em up tomorrow (with a ton of other stuff - shivering at the thought of that bill).

I figured I could get some cookie cutters cheap at the store or get some at a garage sale. I found some at one a couple of weeks ago, but then I was looking for mini's for wax cutouts for "fixins". Did you spray the cutters with a release agent before you baked?

Did you spray the cutters with a release agent before you baked?
No, was I suppose to? :confused::eek: lol I had no problem taking them off the cutters, just sorta peeled them away. I found the scenting and coloring to be a pain and then trying to place those buggers in the cutters was no easy task as you can see by my texas ornie. Also, the different scents might discolor your beads so you might want to choose your fragrance oils carefully. I tried to get one color I can't remember now and it turned brown when I added the fo.

Good LUck and let us see what'cha make. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Laura these are AWESOME!! When I first saw the recipe for the ornies I thought that the heat from the oven would evaporate the FO- not so by the sounds. Just another thing to try. How hard is it and whose recipe did you follow in you don't mind sharing? :D

Thanks MaryAnn. I followed the BCN recipe. I only baked them for about 4 minutes. I think the recipe says 5-10 mins. They are very scented. With this heat the car smells yummy all the time. My dad has the apple one and it is scented with JS warm apple pie. He said he loves it. Was shocked as guys usually never say anything.;)

Hi, newbie on CT but I have been making these for awhile. They are fun to make and you can get pretty creative with multi-colored ones and patterns and such. Or if time is a factor I just make them solid colored. I got the instructions at BC too, but I found that if I bake them at 350 degrees they smoke pretty bad, so I bake at 275-300 for about 6-8 minutes. Some FOs and colors bake quicker, so you have to keep an eye on them.

They are great sellers, a nice low-priced item and most people buy at least 2.

I get my cutters from www.foosecookiecutters.com they're about 80 cents to $1 each and have a GREAT variety. Just keep an eye on the sizes of the cutters- I've accidentally gotten a couple that were huge! They have flat rate shipping of $5.25 for up to 99 cutters.

And I made a 3 color Texas one for the first time last week too! LOL I love the ones in the pic posted here with the cut-outs in the middle. I'm going to have to try that- I have a bunch on mini-cutters that I got in a lot on ebay and have been trying to figure out what to do with them! :o