Driftwood candles

Hi all. I am a beginner attempting to make candles using driftwood containers. My husband and I have found good driftwood pieces and chised nice little openings in them, ready for wax. The only problem is that since these are wood, I can't help but worry about their flammability. Has anyone ever made these before? Are they safe? Do they need to be treated in some way first?

Thank you so much for you help!!!

You could always use a glass candle holder and insert it into the hold you make/drill into the driftwood. That would be about the only way I can think of to use the driftwood in the way you want. Doesnt have to be glass, but some kind of holder to keep the flame wax ect away from the wood.

I would use the glass votive holder, and probably even give the wood a few coating of Mod Podge just to seal it, maybe make it a bit more heat proof. And test it with a full burn to see how hot it really gets, to make sure the glass doesn't break since it would be buried in the wood which would hold in the heat.

I've bought driftwood candles before that worked just fine. As long as you can control the heat you should be able to come up with something relatively safe.