Hurricane Candle Question

I've made several Hurricane Candles and they all have rings in the wax about 1/4 of inch apart on the outside of the candle all the way down. I tried to use mineral spirits to rub them out but they are too deep. My mold is new, and seems smooth, Wax is IGI 1260, double checked my temperature, water bath, followed the instructions on this web site but still I am having this problem.

Any suggestions?

1260 has a very high MP so make sure you're pouring it probably no less than 190. You can go higher. If you see any congealed wax that doesn't melt shortly after the mold is filled, the wax too cool and those would be jump lines.

Are you preparing your water bath in advance or filling it with the mold in there already? You can try pushing the empty mold down into the water to find the right amount in advance. That avoids any irregularities you might get from filling the water bath too gradually.

Also make sure the water isn't too cold. Just tepid is good.

I use a lower mp wax than you do, but I pour my hurricanes at 200 or more. I also use 3% micro 180 and waterbath in tepid water as Top suggested. I think you need to pour hotter. Welcome to my world of "If it doesn't work, melt it and do over".....lol....Donita

Be careful about adding micro to 1260 though. Donita has her formula perfected but she uses a different and more brittle wax. Adding straight micro to 1260 seems to cause me problems with sticking and surface finish. I have a good feeling about 1% UA but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Wanda, I started out using 1260 for my hurricanes. I have to say it does NOT work well for picture 'canes. But for std 'canes you should be able to make a nice hurricane. Don't know if this will work for you but here is what I did.

1 tsp UA pp wax

1/2 oz Mico 180 pp wax

1/2 tsp powdered mold release pp wax

poured at 200 into heated mold

Place mold into filled water bath - water temp 70+ degress.

Post some pictures in the Gallery when you get it to work for you

Good Luck

Top has experimented with that wax and he is right. I only know what my wax does. I think that Candlewic should be paying me for all of the advertising I do for them....lol.....My job isn't testing all of the waxes in the world, just the ones that I have. Some waxes are more translucent than others....Sharyl has made a lot of candles so do what she did. I just happen to like the 5055 for all of my canes....if it ain't broke, then...you know the rest. Donita