Powdered or liquid Dyes???

Liquid is more practical. There are a few types that don't contain nasty solvents, such as Pryme and EVO. Those have less tendency to cause frosting in soy wax. They also lack the bad smell and you won't have to worry that the fumes will slowly transform you into a trembling spastic retard.

Powder dye is what the various colorants are made from. It's pure straight dye, hence very concentrated. For individual candles or small batches it's unlikely you have a scale capable of weighing the small amounts you need. It's also unlikely you'll get it to dissolve completely added straight to the wax. Plus you should wear a respirator when using it. You'll never suspect it's floating through the air until every surface in the immediate area with the slightest greasy film on it becomes speckled with little dots of color.

So yeah. Liquid.

Liquid is more practical. They also lack the bad smell and you won't have to worry that the fumes will slowly transform you into a trembling spastic retard.

Thank you for your personal synopsis, Top. :rolleyes2

And of course I chose to capture the statement with the most delivery value.

Liquids are better for soy, IMO. You need a gram scale to weigh out those powdered dyes effectively. Not to mention the airbourne particals. I know peeps on here rave about Pryme colors~ but I get a rich, dark true red from Tri-State liquid dyes. At half the cost and much less fuss.

EVO liquids are the best I have used so far.

Pryme colors are overrated. They smell, they are messy and it still takes a lot of color to make dark shades. JMO:D

I've never used powders but I have tried tons of liquids and color chips. Chips are really nice for pale colors. For dark red, brown, blue, and purple liquids do a great job.

EVO liquids are the best I have used so far.

Pryme colors are overrated. They smell, they are messy and it still takes a lot of color to make dark shades. JMO:D

I've never noticed a smell from the Pryme colors.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. If you like apples, that doesn't make oranges "overrated".

These colorants are used in different ways by people with different needs. EVO dyes are used like conventional liquid colorants. If you want an exceptionally concentrated dye and prefer to count drops, that is the one you use. If you want to weigh your dyes for maximum scalability across a range of shades, EVO isn't useful and Pryme is the only product that meets the need.

The fact that you use more is part of the design. When you want to do a subtle shade you could still do it with Pryme Plus or Base, but you actually switch to the less concentrated Fade so that you can use an easily weighable amount.

Hi Everyone!! I use all three. I use dye chips with my pillars, tarts and votives. I use the liquid only for some colors such as black, browns, and Pink and when I use IGI- 4786. I use pryme colors for my Soy, to me it makes a sharper, richer color for the veggie based, or soy products. I have never had any smell from the Pryme dyes. JMO;)

I use Liquid dye from Lonestar. I get a lot of frosting no matter what I try. It gets worse when the room is cooler. I first bought the color blocks when I first started. It never bothered me to wait for it to melt all the way. I did get solid coloring. But the pain was shaving it off for small batches. That is where drops is more convenient. If I want to throw out a quick tester candle I just add a drop or two. I am just frustrated and I don't feel like doing a large math calculation just to color a candle. I have a nice smooth pouring technique down pat. I am just not comfortable with the blooming. Has anyone ever used these dyes?