add to the list

Add these to the list of dumb questions. What do all the abr. stand for? Some I've figured out some I have no clue?:undecided I've dibbled in candle making as a hobby, I had no idea how intense and how much hard work people put into making candles. I've read up on the lastest and greatest, but WOW. Whats a good wax to use, where do you get a good wax, whats a good price for wax, I've only bought wax from my local craft store. It doesn't have any numbers on it. It just says premium wax made by Yaleys. Is this ok? is it a good wax? I mean there is just so many different types and brands, I don't know where to begin. I went to the peaks web site so I kinda get the whole candle wax number thing now, but I've noticed they're out of quite a few waxes. I know everyone has their personal favs, but this chica needs some direction. Any help would be most appreciated:p

Waht kind of candles do you make?

pillars, votives, container? There are different types of waxes for different types of candles!

Hey I see you are in akron Ohio! Howdy nieghbor! I am in the greater Cleveland area. Live near great nothern mall!!!!

gonna send you a pm!

Greetings neighbor:p . Well I make them all actually. I have all kinds of molds, I've bought containers, I've done the whole gel thing. Its a hobby moreso than anything. I've worked with creme wax , soy wax, crystal wax. I love to play:grin2: I've tried them all, but only as a hobby. I get most of my stuff from Pat Catan's cuz their cheaper than the other craft stores, but I want to broaden my horizons ya know:D

Northern Michigan here.

As for Yaley's wax. When I first started, it's all I used. To be honest, I loved this wax. Then I started coming here, and was told that it was garbage so I immediately looked into other waxes. I was also using Yaleys scent blocks and fos, which are garbage. Now I think that the wax was probably fine. I've yet to find a wax the equals it in translucency, which I loved when it came to making chunkies. But I wasn't using vybar or steric at the time either. I was paying $20.00 a slab, and it said Premium, so with that claim and price, I figured it was ready to go. Since Vybar increases opacity, that'd effect the translucency. I really had no complaints with the wax, and have since been told that it is made by IGI, so it's probably a high quality wax, if the information was correct. I have thought about trying it again now that I have good fos and know what I'm doing. As for other good waxes, it's all personal preference. What works well for one, might not work well for another. Most suggest testing different slabs and see what you like best. I personally use Candlewics 4041 pillar wax, I also use it for votives. Alot of peeps around her rave about IGI 1343A, unless you do NOT want a mottle, 1343N wont mottle. IGI 4794 is great for votives, but it's a preblend, can't be very creative with it. Good luck, HTH! (Hope This Helps)

Now I think that the wax was probably fine. I've yet to find a wax the equals it in translucency, which I loved when it came to making chunkies.

Translucency is not hard to find if you need it. The Candlewic pillar blend you're using is opaque but their straight 4045 paraffin has excellent translucency and the IGI 1343 is good for that as well.

I used to live 2 miles from the Akron/Canton airport (Greentown). I was born in Canton.

Sure miss it up there..planning to make a visit soon. Haven't been back in probably 6 years. My hubby tells me I'm a yankee :rolleyes2 lol, and I won't repeat what I tell him.

On the old board there was a member that told us there is an Ohio conference. It has already passed for this year, but it is to be held sometime next June in the Akron area. I will have to see if I can find it. She promised to e-mail me but I am not sure I have seen her on this board (re-registed) ...

*** off to the archives

• 5 years later...