Shelf life of a scented candle?

Hi,

i have had interest from a customer about making a bulk order of cupcake candles for her wedding. The wedding is not untill December 2007. She wants to know if she orders them now and stores them until her wedding, would they loose their scent by then?

Each candle would be idividually packaged in a cellophane bag and then they would all be put in a cardboard box. If she stored them in the correct conditions would they be O.K. I live in England she they would not be exposed to extremes of temperatures.

I really do not know what to tell her, but it would be best for both of us if we could make the transaction now, but i don't want her to buy them now if they will be useless by 2007?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thankyou very much

I have unwrapped votives that I made over a year ago that are just as strong as they were when I made them. It's all in how you store them. I store mine in containers made of polypropylene. They have to be polypropylene, as other plastics tend to "suck" the scent out. You might want to consider that as an alternative to a cardboard box.

Hi, They are pink cupcake candles. Pink bottom part and pink whipped wax on top, there will then be a few hundreds and thousands (sugar strand things) on the top. So if they are all the same colour will they be O.K.

She must be a super organised bride, she is REALLY keen to get them straight away, she also said she is getting her dress made at the moment and her wedding isnt even until December 2007!!

WOW that is a long time away, if she ends up not getting married she will wish the cupcakes were real so she could pig out! Im not sure I would make them up this early though. Pinks can fade too... be sure and use a good UV in the wax and maybe.... maybe they will look good in a year and a half. Bruce

I have no idea of what I will have for dinner until I walk into the kitchen..lol...I guess some people actually love to plan their wedding and want to delay it as long as possilbe....then she always has something to talk about....??????? I have candles around that were made 3 years ago that still smell great. I wouldn't ever store a white or ivory candle that has any type of vanilla in it or a pastel for that matter. I bought back some tall ivory star pillars that turned caramel/tan and they were a very pale ivory to start. I melted them and made some layers with it but I was really shocked to see such a color change....it was dramatic. Do you think you can trust her? I have had customers change their minds. Not in my favor either. Even if she pays you and then decides she doesn't want them she can make your life miserable...sorry to be such a pessimist, but I have had customers really shock me. Luckily I have the ability (courage) to make lemonade out of lemons. Donita