Can too much FO lessen Scent Throw?

CandleCouture

What is everyone's thought on this? Everyone is telling me that 1 oz per pound of the Greenleaf 70/30 is fine for most everything, but, I'm looking for a VERY strong scent throw, so I've been using 1.5 ounces per pound. I've not yet test burned anything and am trying to be patient and let everything cure for a week or two prior to burning.

But, my question is, can more FO than is required actually LESSEN the Hot throw of a candle?

What are your thoughts?

IMO, too much FO won't lessen scent throw, but it also won't do a darn thing for the candle except waste FO. When the scent throw is maxed out, adding more won't help. It depends on the individual strength of the FO, as to how much is the max throw you're gonna get.

I agree, but, the question then becomes how much FO should you put in per pound of wax to achieve just that...maximizing the scent throw. Because, it doesn't ONLY depend on the strength of the oil, as putting 1% clearly won't give you the scent throw that putting 6% will...know what I mean? So, while I agree that there is probably a point where the throw is maxed...the question then becomes...what is that point?

It's possible that throw could be compromised if you don't have the right wick - too much FO might cause the wick to burn incompletely, at less of a temperature...

The only way you'll know is by testing, unfortunately. But like Jennifer said, if you have a business, you've also got to think of the expense of using a FO that requires a high % - will be be a good choice?

Adding extra FO is not going to make a candle stronger. Plus if you exceed the manufacturer's recommendation for FO percentages in a wax blend you will have oil seeping out of your candles and they won't look pretty. Check the site of your supplier for this info.

Not every scent is designed to be VERY strong. Lovespell will never throw like Amish Harvest or Red Hot Cinnamon. It is also wise to take into consideration the quality of the FO you are using. Lower grades will result in less throw, especially hot throw. It will take time, testing and money to find the formulation you find suitable for your product.

I agree, but, the question then becomes how much FO should you put in per pound of wax to achieve just that...maximizing the scent throw. Because, it doesn't ONLY depend on the strength of the oil, as putting 1% clearly won't give you the scent throw that putting 6% will...know what I mean? So, while I agree that there is probably a point where the throw is maxed...the question then becomes...what is that point?

I start with the manufacturer's or supplier's recommendation, which is usually 1oz pp (6%) or less. If it doesn't throw to my liking at that percentage, I will increase it to 8%, or 1.28oz pp. If that doesn't work I won't use that FO, because beyond that it just isn't worthwhile to me to order more. HTH

What is everyone's thought on this? Everyone is telling me that 1 oz per pound of the Greenleaf 70/30 is fine for most everything, but, I'm looking for a VERY strong scent throw, so I've been using 1.5 ounces per pound. I've not yet test burned anything and am trying to be patient and let everything cure for a week or two prior to burning.

But, my question is, can more FO than is required actually LESSEN the Hot throw of a candle?

What are your thoughts?

The Greenleaf 70/30 says 8-10% and can hold up to 12% fo. Using the same fo, jar, and wick try pouring using different amounts of fo and then compare the throw. With veg. waxes I typically use 1.5 oz per lb unless it's one of those fo's that are just too strong at that rate. Personally I don't think that more fo will lessen the hot throw but like others have said you need to keep within the recommended amounts for each particular wax and as you increase the fo you have wicking and soot issues and of course the more fo you use the higher the cost for you.

So it threw better at 6.5% than it did at 7.5% or at 9%? That's odd, don't you think? Why do you think that might be?

Yes, it's really odd, but this particular FO threw better at 6.5% than at 6, 7, 8 or 9%. You can imagine it took me a while to test this one. I have no explanation for it, but when I was just starting out, someone told me that at times, less is more.