Facial (Bar) Soap~ Recipe Help-PLEAZ :)

maryann

I'm trying to come up with a facial bar CP recipe and wondering what the Soap Qualities should be??

I'm going for a castile recipe w/ the addition of a few oils that the face luvs as well.

Wow, now that I read what I just wrote, should I be using a high % of olive oil (46% to be exact) ? I thought yes, as I made a castile soap a few months ago that I've been using on my face for 3 three weeks now (and nothing else) and it had cleared up the acne I received from product sampling. Anywho I thought OO would be a good base- what do ya think??

Other ?? questions

Cleansing 11%

Conditioning 66%

Iodine 72%

INS 136%

These are the only #s I'm concerned about. I'm not going for the ultimate cleansing bar, more a gentle cleansing one that doesn't dry and lots of conditioning using face friendly oils that don't clog.

I REALLY appreciate any help, ideas, critics...... TIA :wink2:

Off to see if the OO is clogging for the skin.

Your conditioning number is good. I use a recipe that has 70% conditioning and it's very gentle and mild with creamy lather. I like it a lot for my dry skin.

What are your numbers on oleic, linoleic, and linolenic, etc. with this recipe?

Edited to add: I think a high olive bar is good for facial use if your skin is dry. Takes a while to get the lather going sometimes, depending on what other oils you use, but nice and gentle!

Thanks for the input AJ!

Just found a chart I was looking for that Kim (Siberia) posted before about oils that were good for facial skin. Must say thank you Kim for that info.

I'm soooo happy that the other oils I chose are under the low clogging probability column. That is except for coconut oil :cry2: (which I was using at 17%- but didn't seem to effect the bar I'm currently using ~ or more so isn't adversing effecting my face as it has cleared up).

My #s for

oleic -44

linoleic -20

linolenic -0

lauric -8

myristic -3

palmitic -12

ricinoleic -2

stearic -6

I'm going to go back and work on lowering the Coconut Oil, its at 17% and ranks high for clogging.

If the coconut is bothering you, I would suggest dropping it and using some pko instead perhaps. You'll still get the lathering qualities. You might want to check on how pko rates on the comodogenic scale, though -- I don't remember that off hand. HTH!

If the coconut is bothering you, I would suggest dropping it and using some pko instead perhaps. You'll still get the lathering qualities. You might want to check on how pko rates on the comodogenic scale, though -- I don't remember that off hand. HTH!

Is there a site w/ the comodogenic scale on it??

One site said OO was clogging and one site said it wasn't. I use alot

of OO in my soaps and products and have found that it is very

beneficial to not only my skin but others who have used my

products. It sounds like OO has helped your skin so IMO I would

stick with that.

Some info from the Columbus Foods site---

Olive Oil is rich in vitamins and minerals; contains some protein.

Olive Oil is stable, resists rancidity and has excellent lubricating qualities.

Olive Oil is nourishing and calming to the skin, it is believed to have cell-regenerative capabilities.

Olive Oil is a monounsaturated fat pressed from tree-ripened olives.

Olive Oils are graded according to their acidity. "Extra virgin" is about 1% acid and is considered the finest. The other grades are "superfine," "fine," and "pure" or "virgin."

Olive Oil is an excellent moisturizer. Attracts external moisture to the skin while still allowing the skin to perform normal functions as sweating, shedding. Different grades offer different properties. Best for skin care is Grade A.

Olive Oil is an emollient.

Olive Oil, which is one of the best oils for skin care. As well as being quite mild, it is moisturizing, attracting external moisture and holding it close to the skin, and also forming a breathable film to prevent internal moisture loss.

THANKS!! :wink2: I have more info that supports that its a good facial oil than not. I went ahead a used 49% OO and other face luving oils... as I know my face luved it-LOL

I know some people have said before that OO is slimey and I don't get that. I've compared it to other non OO soap and I don't think it feels slimey, I think they feel silky.

For those of you who have conditioning numbers in the upper 60's or low 70's, what are your hardness numbers like? I don't want your formula (not really anyway ;)) I like fooling around with the sooz calculator, developing new formulas and making test batches, but I'm wondering how low your hardness #'s can go while you still have a good, firm bar. Thanks!

I've gotta look up the # as I don't have it in front of me, but my goal w/ this bar was to make a gentle cleansing, good conditioning facial bar to use at the sink.... so I'm not too worried about the sudz or the hardness (which if I remember the iodine read was in the mid 70's). I'll post the hardness later (my recipe is somewhere :rolleyes2 w/ the numbers on it).

For those of you who have conditioning numbers in the upper 60's or low 70's, what are your hardness numbers like? I don't want your formula (not really anyway ;)) I like fooling around with the sooz calculator, developing new formulas and making test batches, but I'm wondering how low your hardness #'s can go while you still have a good, firm bar. Thanks!

My highly conditioning bars don't have super high numbers on bar hardness. When you're high on some numbers, something else has got to give. They do have a fairly decent creamy lather, and a so-so on bar hardness. Caveat: with ample cure time, almost any soap bar will get good and hard. I've got some with lousy numbers for bar hardness that are lethal bricks after several months to a year. LOL

• 3 months later...
I don't get where they say that OO is slimy either - I use a high percent

of OO, always have, and have never had a slimy bar of soap.

I have two batches (made 4 weeks ago) of Castile-ish with 90% olive oil. One is amazing, the other is slimy as all get-out - but I had a terrible time getting that one to gel. Just tossed the icky batch!

I'm going for a castile recipe w/ the addition of a few oils that the face luvs as well.

Wow, now that I read what I just wrote, should I be using a high % of olive oil (46% to be exact) ?

Castile soap is, by definition, predominantly olive oil. You need to be a closer to 80-90% to call it castile.