Chunk Pillar Candles

Hi! :o I made a 3x6 Chunk pillar tonight, and I'm not happy with it. Where the bottom of the mold wass, it's all mottled, and then the top half is fill of pits and air bubbles, which I suppose can't be helped because of the chunks. I was wondering what if I was to put it back in the mold and then slightly warm the sides with a heat gun? Do you think that would make it look a bit better? Or is that as good as it's gonna get?

Well what you're likely to get by putting back in the mold and using your heat gun is a bunch of white, caused by bubbles. Harder to explain, not that easy to show either, but it'll look like a soapy foam pressed into your candle (which btw looks pretty cool sometimes).

Ok thanks. So I guess it's best to just leave well enough alone then? Is this normal for larger chunk pillars? I have never made one bigger than a 2x6 before, and votives. And they all usually have the white jump lines, which I figured was normal because of the chunks cooling the overpour.

Well no. I think the pits are trapped air this time. The mottle well would have to see it, but probably just need to try an additive to get rid of it, but I think a chunked mottle might look pretty cool. Lot of other factors to acct. for the mottle, such as how much FO used etc.

When I've poured chunks I just stuck my chopstick in there and poked inbetween what chunks I could to get and air out that I could get to.

You can try it again with your heat gun. Fun of candlemaking is playing around. I just didn't think it would fix your surface flaws is all.

Pour hotter and hit the outside of the mould with a heat gun as soon as you pour it, this should end the jump lines and help fill in surface holes. Poke relief holes as soon as possible to release any air. I pour my chunks @ 180.

Your almost there!

Cheers

Janette.

:highfive: Awesome! Thank you so much for all the info. Now I wanna go make another one to try it out, lol. But I just made some Saskatoonberry 4 oz containers and tealights. I live in Saskatoon, so I have been dying to try it...but I'm not happy so far. I had gotten the FO from CanWax. Is there another supplier that carries SaskatoonBerry?

When I was teaching candlemaking.....I did chunk candles and even let 5 year olds take the class (with a parent and a signed permission slip)....To be sure they were safe.....they were pouring at about 160 and to make sure that is didn't become rustic or get stuck, I added 1/2 tsp pp of gloss poly. That makes the wax more opaque but it makes it smooth. I also wanted to pour cool so they could go home with their candle that day. I had them in and out in two hours. You will have to play with the wax you have and see if that is what you want to use....I have used many kinds over the years. If you want it translucent, then don't use the gloss poly, but do the heat gun on the outside, but remember that if you over do it, you will bleed the colors too. Make sure that the colors are complimentary....I don't worry about it now because I "crackle" all of my chunk candles (most of them) and then they come out shiny. But that is just my signature candle and what I sell the most of. Good luck.....and have fun......at least you made some candles. That's cool. Now....try burning them. That is another trick. If you do add the gloss poly, then you might have to wick up for that. We old candle people experiment a lot.....really.....a lot. Donita

Guest ShellyRobyn

I tap my mold with a wooden spoon too as I heat it a bit with the heat gun. I need a third hand to turn the mold while I heat and tap. :wink2:

I heat my overpour to 190.