shrooms abound

Hello everyone,can you all tell me what is causing the mushrooming on soy wax candles?I finally have a great burning candle and just need to figure out how to cut down on shrooms.I use 1-1/2 oz fo using bluegrass soy and fragrance oils from several different suppliers.Thanks a lot:cool2:

• 5 years later...

I use a 60-44-18 zinc core in GW444 wax and it does mushroom after a few hours. I have found using the soy blend that I have to use more frag. oil to get a good scent in soy versus regular paraffin wax. I have tried the cotton core wicks in the GW444 wax and the wicks fall over and the mushrooming is still as bad. I have tried every wick out there and they still mushroom with this wax. The zinc has worked the best for me, but the more fragrance oil I add the problem becomes worse and the wick turns to ash and falls off and it cannot always be relighted. Also when the wick turns to ash, the wax does not burn down from the sides of the jar and the candle extinguishes itself. I have better luck with certain frag. oils than others especially with an oil that I do not have to increase the amount added to the wax to get a good throw. Has anyone used a 100% soy wax and still had this issue of mushrooming or wicks turning to ash? I wonder of it is the combination of waxes and maybe doesn't happen with 100% soy.

I am right now. I use soy 125 by candle wick. Right now I have square braids in the candles. I will try some other. I to have shrooming. I think I found out why but will have to check that theory. You are absolutely right f/o is what causes it as I reduce f/o the shrooming stops but no nice smell. I tried every wick but CD. I do have a few on hand and will see if they work better. My jars were a poor choice since they have a narrower neck and bulge out. Right now I used #5 square wicks and it so so, I still have wax on the walls so #6 is next.

I answered your other thread about wicking this container. Going up to a #6 is not your answer, you will still get mushrooming if you use too much FO. I used Soy 125 years ago and hated it because it was very picky with FO's and there were too many that wouldn't throw in that wax. As I said in the other thread, try (2) LX10's or 12's depending on the FO.