Almost embarrassed to ask this question...but...

Whenever I see someone say "use 1 ounce of fo", I don't know how much 1 ounce is. (stop rolling your eyes at me) :) I've been just guessing because the fo I have is in 2 ounce bottles, so I've been estimating it. Does 1 ounce equal a tablespoon? Maybe a teaspoon? Is there an easy way to convert ounces to actually measurements that I can use?

(I'm normally a bright guy...but this one makes me feel dumb)

Candle ingredients are measured by weight not volume. Using a teaspoon or tablespoon gives you a VOLUME measurement. To get a precise 1 oz by weight you must use a scale.

Example: a gallon of water weighs less than a gallon of milk, even though by volume they are the same.

Clear as mud????

You can get a scale at WalMart in the kitchen section. It is not a top of the line, but it will do to get you started. Estimating by using half the bottle of a 2 oz bottle will get the job done for now. :)

Good Luck!

Dat

I was either using measuring spoons or "eyeballing" it... The measuring spoons were fairly accurate, except when I was using "heavy" fo's... THEN, I bought a digital scale-- nothing fancy, just the one in WalMart (Good Cook's brand, less than $30) and IT'S A WHOLE NEW WORLD! Moral of the story is to get the digital scale... even the cheap one. It's toally worth it!:) JMHO,

Yup, just be sure to cover it when you're using it. FO's do NOT play nicely with plastic scale housings. Ask me how I know. :sad2:

Yep. I almost ruined a good scale by accidentally spilling FO all over it. I'm not sure if I was more upset about the scale or about losing the FO, lol. But I use a decent scale from Wal-Mart. Cost about $25 and works great. It's a good investment.

For a long time I used a small glass baby bottle that had oz marks on it. It worked well enough.

When I finally got a scale I tested several different scents by using the baby bottle and then weighing to check it and there wasn't really any noticeable difference in an oz. When using 3-4 oz's there was a visible difference in liquid measure vs weight.

In my tests of 4 oz weighed samples of several diff scents I couldn't see ANY difference in the liquid amounts. But I only tested the 6 scents that I had on hand at the time.

If the candles smell good and don't bleed you're all set :-)

We have had this discussion( Search it) before and YES you can use 2 TABLESPOONS,,Dont believe me??? TRY weighing it!!!! GEEZZZZ already!!!!:P:laugh2:

edited to add,,,sorry if this seemed a mean post,,I didnt mean for it to sound that way,,

I'm thinking that if we can't ask the same questions over and over or every now and again...we should just limit this forum to a SEARCH ENGINE and leave the off topic a place for us to keep in touch....whatcha think? :)

I totally agree with you on this!! I think if someone has asked the same ? that has been asked 3,000 times and it ticks you off, don't reply to their post. JMO:)