Just getting started... a little help?

Hi there. I am a total candle virgin, I haven't even poured my first candle yet! I got obsessed with the idea a few weeks ago after visiting a friend who had made a couple batches. She spent a small fortune in supplies and I couldn't, so I came home and spent HOURS on ebay. I have now spent a small fortune myself but I am awaiting a TON of supplies, so I don't feel so bad...lol. I bought a 10 pound soy starter kit with 10 oz of oils, 10 dye blocks and color chips and a bunch of wicks, stickums and labels. Only then did I start looking for actual information and now I'm thinking maybe my supplies aren't such great quality. Will this be a major problem for my first attempt, or do you think it might be ok to begin with cheaper supplies and purchase more expensive, quality items after I get the hang of it? I have looked for specific details in the ebay listing but the seller was very vague, I guess I'll know this week when things arrive. I have also bought a whole bunch of extra fo's and color blocks, votive molds, paraffin wax, wicks, a thermometer and tons of cute containers. Is there a huge difference in fragrance oils from one supplier to another? If I want to stick to small containers and votives for a while, can you guys suggest a good wax and wick I might try? My trouble is that I'm in a VERY rural part of Canada and the nearest supplier is literally a plane ride away and shipping for anything with much weight to it is outrageous, so I'd like to spend my money on real quality next time. What about general purpose grocery store paraffin with the right additives, any good? Also, how many of you use wick pins? I haven't bought any but they sound useful... Any help you can provide would be great, my supplies could be here tomorrow and I'm excited to get started, wouldn't want to get totally discouraged by a bad first experience. Also, what is your absolute FAVORITE scent? Thanks so much!

Hey welcome to the board!

Can't answer your questions about what you bought off eBay without knowing what exactly you bought lol. There are a lot of suppliers and some are even on eBay.

Seems like you got some stuff to play with and experiment. Have a good time with it :) We have some Canadians on this board who can probably help point you in the direction of some suppliers as well.

I have the wick pins and votive pins and love 'em!

General purpose wax at grocery stores is a low form of paraffin and not something I'd invest in.

No overall favorite scent, but I have momentary favorites -- stuff I get hooked on till something else entices the nose.

Hello BrandNewToCandles,

Welcome aboard.

I am also a rural Canadian, small island off the West Coast. Where are you located? Do you have rail service? If you are buying from the U.S., watch out for brokerage fees from UPS. This can be as much as 50% of the cost of your goods. If you can get stuff shipped Priority Post, you can avoid the brokerage costs and it isn't that much slower than UPS.

Lynden House International- Edmonton Alberta, has a good selection of supplies and great service. I have only used a few of their scents but was happy with them (Hot Apple Pie is very good) I think their address is Lyndenhouse.com (or .ca My browser just deleted all my bookmarks this morning so not sure).

I buy my wax from here in Canada, I use IGI's wax. The quality is great. Don't use the grocery store wax, it is not for candles. Most of my other supplies do come from the U.S. though. I buy in large quantities to get the best price. For just starting out you will probably be better off to stick with Canadian suppliers to avoid brokerage fees, and huge shipping costs.

As for what wax you should use, that depends on what you are wanting to make. Soy is not the easiest wax to work with though. There are a lot of issue to getting the right wick with soy. Paraffin is much more forgiving in this regard, and it can produce far more effects. don't get discouaged if the soy doesn't work out for you right away.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Cheers

Janette

Thanks again, this is very helpful. I will definately avoid the grocery store wax. I am in a very small town (probably about 500 people) on the Port au Port peninsula in Newfoundland. It is an hours drive from the nearest grocery store, hospital, fast food place, etc. The nearest post office, pharmacy and school are in the next community but that's about it. So you see my problem. Even within Canada shipping is high for me because of the island aspect... thanks for the heads up on brokerage fees, the sellers I bought from did ship priority post and so far I've been lucky about extra fees, but my two largest packages haven't arrived yet, so we'll see. I have bought from The Candle Source, the smells are great from the bottles but I haven't gotten my wax yet, so we'll see about that too. The soy wax kit is from Millenium Gel Candles in Canada and comes with wicks, so I'm hoping it's the right wicks and that problem will be solved. I actually only realized the complications of soy wax after I had bought the auction, but it was cheap, so...lol. Has anyone (most likely Canadians) bought from Canwax? They have a pretty decent selection, I'm wondering about quality. I hadn't heard of anywhere else, good to have a suggestion. I want to make votives and containers, maybe a few tealights and tarts. If I buy the tealight cups with wicks from the same supplier is this a safe bet with regards to wicking? What's a good type/size for standard votives? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm SO new to this. I really thought it was just melting wax and pouring....lol!!

The best thing to do, is to start with just one kind of candle: container, votives, tarts, or pillars. Decide which one you want to try first and go for it. Starter kits are great for first time candle makers. It gives you a feel for what you want and you can work on the quality of it as you go.

As far as fragrance oils goes, the Candle Source has some great ones to start with. She has excellent customer service and fast shipping.

If you are going to make container candles, pick one size jar and work on that one until you are happy with it. You will have to experiment with wick sizes and types until you find one that works for you.

Try doing a search on the board for waxes, wicks, and fragrance oils to get a feel of what others are using. This is a great way to learn from the more experienced candle makers. I have definitely learned a lot just by reading others comments and concerns about candle making.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!

:yay:

As a defender of paraffins everywhere, I take exception to grocery store wax being called a "low form" of paraffin. This is waxist and discriminatory. As far as I know, grocery store wax is proud fully-refined food grade paraffin, just like what we buy for making candles.

Thing is, we don't have much info to figure out what best to use it for. Since canning is one of the clearly intended purposes, it's probably something like 130 MP paraffin. Should be a good base wax for votives.

Bitter Creek North sells 7 different kinds of straight paraffin. Only one of them is specifically a candlemaking wax. 2 of them actually ARE a lower (less refined) form of wax than the grocery store stuff.

First of all I would like to welcome you to the board. Hope you get all your supplies today and can start playing. Candle making is so fun, but it can be very frustrating also. Just wondering if you know anybody on the coast with a store or someplace you could have your wax or heavyier items shipped to? Would save you a bunch if you could just pick up there. Something you might want to think about in the future.

We have alot of candlemakers from Canada on this board and I'm sure they will chime in and give you details on suppliers.

You can get some great buys on Ebay. Just be sure you know brands everything is. That way when you need more, you'll be able to find it. Don't want you to make a nice product and then can't reproduce it.

Take full advange of this board. Read,read,read. There is more information than any book you can buy. And most of all, have fun.

Welcome to the board....we are a bunch of helpful and sometimes crazy people.....if you stick around, you will know what I am talking about. Through it all, we learn from each other as well as entertain. I have been making candles for 11 years or more....and I still keep my eyes and ears open for "the perfect wax"....there are so many that you will find yourself experimenting to find the right wax for your application. My very first hurricane candle was Safeway paraffin.....I didn't have a clue. My mold was an old cardboard salt box. It worked, but within a couple of weeks I was buying "real wax" from Pourette in Seattle (with a higher melt point) Slab at a time. Now big trucks pull in here. Need-less-to-say....I have done a lot of experimenting to get to the right wax....it has been a fun journey (not).....!!!!!!! Good luck to you and just jump in and start somewhere and show us what you are doing. The only way you will learn is to make a candle. You may have beginners luck, or not. lol......there is no magic answer....you will learn as you go. Do a search on this board for anything you want to know about and you will learn something....I still do it. Donita

As a defender of paraffins everywhere, I take exception to grocery store wax being called a "low form" of paraffin. This is waxist and discriminatory. As far as I know, grocery store wax is proud fully-refined food grade paraffin, just like what we buy for making candles.

Thing is, we don't have much info to figure out what best to use it for. Since canning is one of the clearly intended purposes, it's probably something like 130 MP paraffin. Should be a good base wax for votives.

Bitter Creek North sells 7 different kinds of straight paraffin. Only one of them is specifically a candlemaking wax. 2 of them actually ARE a lower (less refined) form of wax than the grocery store stuff.

Have you used the grocery store wax? Do you use additives, and which ones/how much? Trying to keep an open mind... Thanks.

I've seen a lot about UV inhibitors, are they really that important or do you guys only use it for candles you sell?

Great advice about knowing the brands, thanks! I hadn't considered that, although I had heard that some people keep detailed info about each pour to compare batches, a candle notebook, I guess. Sounds useful.

The nearest "city" is 2 hours away but my sister lives there, so shipping heavy items to her might be a good idea, should be cheaper, right?

I'm already loving these boards, so much info from all of you. Thanks so much! The mail arrives in about an hour, maybe I'll have details about my (hopefully) productive first pour later today. How much wax do you guys suggest using at first? I was thinking a pound to avoid a lot of measuring of dye and oil, since everything is premeasured. Is this a good idea?

Hi BrandNew - welcome to the boards. You'll learn a lot. I don't post often as I'm too busy reading everything. You'll usually find the answer you are looking for if you search. Plus everyone is so helpful - great bunch of people.

I'm Canadian too & have had to do a lot of research on where to get what. I can attest that Canwax is great. I haven't had a single problem with anything I've ordered. I've ordered everything from their wax, all types, f.o. & wicks, to their b&b supplies. S.J. is very helpful & patient so if you are looking for something in particular pop her an email & I'm sure she'll try and help you out.

Shipping is a pain for everyone and unfortunately you do have the stumbling block of the island to overcome. I can't advise you on this as I live close enough to canwax to pick up whatever I need. It can be tough though, we're all feeling the pinch of the shipping costs.

Have fun, experiment, remember to be safe and go make some candles. You'll be hooked in no time. Oh & wick pins - I couldn't live without them. I can't centre anything if my life depended on it.

Kellyo

Has anyone (most likely Canadians) bought from Canwax? They have a pretty decent selection, I'm wondering about quality.

Canwax sells IGI paraffin, this is the brand I use and it is excellant quality. This is probably your best bet for a supplier of wax. I haven't tried their FOs. I pretty sure you won't find a company in Canada that actually makes their FOs. They all buy from the US and repackage.

I agree with the above posts that you should choose one project to work on at first. Focus on that until you get the results you want. Also, take notes on everything you do. Temp. that you added dye, scent, poured at, wick size you used. Take notes when test burning too, how long each burn was, how often the wick needed trimming, everything. Notes are your best learning tool, you won't be able to remember all the variables.

Msot important, Have Fun!

Cheers

Janette

Well, I got one package today but not the one with the wax! I have my thermometer, votive molds, some wicks and 1 oz of orange and vanilla ice cream swirl. Once everything arrives I will have 32 different scents to try, should tide me over for quite some time. I decided to try a small amount of each fragrance/supplier first then buy in bulk the ones I really get attached to. I have a minor tendency to go overboard with new things...lol.

Another question. A very close friend of mine is also trying candle making for the first time and she's planning to pour votives first then use a tiny drill bit to make the wick hole instead of purchasing wick pins. Has anyone done this?

The drill method is going to be harder than just putting the wick in after pouring. Pour the votive, wait a few minutes until you start to get a skin over the wax and then put the wick in. It is hard to get it perfectly straight this way. Wick pins really are the solution for votives. I played around with drilling when I first started out, and it can be done but you have to be careful not to crack the candle.

Janette

Another question. A very close friend of mine is also trying candle making for the first time and she's planning to pour votives first then use a tiny drill bit to make the wick hole instead of purchasing wick pins. Has anyone done this?
I experimented a little with drilling wick holes when I was testing out seamless aluminum votive molds. The candles look much nicer if you mold them upside down, in which case you need to drill a hole for the wick. You can get professional results with a small drill press, but I wouldn't try it by hand. You'd also want to do it in a workshop type of area because it generates a lot of wax crumbs. If you're using standard votive molds there's not much reason to do it that way considering how much more labor is involved versus wick pins.

I can attest that Canwax's products are excellent. Ihave never had a problem with them. Also Sue at Villiage Craft and Candle has super products as well.

Thanks! I checked the website and some of those fragrance oils sound delicious!!

I want to sincerely thank you all for any info you provided. I know I haven't made a candle yet but I am VERY serious about this, I have been reading like crazy and the only thing stopping me from actually pouring is Canada Post...lol. I intend to use up all my supplies testing different combos and burning candles until I know just what works for me and I hope someday in the not too distant future I can share something with all of you.

Just wondering, when testing, what should I take note of? From what I have read, I'm looking for melt pool, scent throw, smoking, mushrooming, safety of the containers, the appearance of the candle. Am I missing anything obvious?

Also, do most of you sell candles? Are you pretty well set up? I'll be pouring small batches in my kitchen for my own use, until they get good enough to give as gifts, in all likelihood I'll never sell a candle. Am I the minority?

I live in New Brunswick, CA and I use Canwax.com, LyndenHouse as well as Villagecraftandcandle.com I pay for the shipping it's worth it for the quality but I order my 6 month to a year supply at a time feel free to e-mail me at any time... I have been making Candles for 8 years now and I am still addicted

Turns out my supplies did arrive today, they were delivered to mil's house. I am now waiting for my peanut butter cup scented soy wax to cool to pouring temp. I am using the wicks provided in the kit and a container of the recommended diameter. I have detailed notes, things not to do next time. I have already learned that the maple dye chip is not light brown, it's red brown so my color looks bad, but trial and error, right?

I didn't get a kit for my first time, but I did go direct to Sue at VCC and she set me up with everything I would need to pour votives. It was such a rush, that I was in a votive making frenzy for a few weeks. It was pretty basic for me. I just used a self centering votive wick and away I went. After that I moved on to containers and that took alot more preparation and research. I actually decided which container I wanted to use permanently and went from there with trying different wicks. It was a long drawn out process, but I finally figured out what worked for me. Sue was a HUGE help as well as everyone on here and other message boards. You will get there! Have fun on the way!!