Slab Mold

sheila sullivan

I got my Uplands mold - small 12 bar one. I was told on another board that this one does not do well with CPOP because it is too small for the oven even with it on warm. I made a batch of banana kiwi doing the cp method. It's gelling right now, but I wish I could do cpop. Oh well.

I did try the mold out yesterday. :cool2: I made a hemp cp soap and scented it with NG's Banana Kiwi. The size mold I bought says it holds 4.5 lbs of wet soap. Well, I only made a 4 lb batch and it was too much. I'm guessing 3lbs might be right. I plan on making another batch tonight or tomorrow and making 3 lbs to see where it comes up and the size bars it will make. So far I really like it and the liner was so cool. The soap turned out ugly as sin and the smell is just horrible. Too much banana comes through and not being a banana scent or flavor person, that's not O.K. with me. I want a larger size mold now so that I can do cpop with it. :cheesy2:

What size mold did your order?

I just made a 3lb batch and it does fit in the mold much better than a 4lb. The liner doesn't go all the way to the top of the mold. So if you do a 3lb batch, it will go up to the top of the liner, but the 4lb batch goes over the liner and the top of the mold. Another person I talked to about this mold she does cpop - she said preheats the oven to 170 and then right before she adds her lye liquid to her oils, she turns the oven off and crack the door a little and holds it open with an oven mitt or whatever works. She pours the soap, puts it in the oven and closes the door for the night.

I am trying that method right now so I hope all goes well.

• 1 month later...
I did try the mold out yesterday. :cool2: I made a hemp cp soap and scented it with NG's Banana Kiwi. The size mold I bought says it holds 4.5 lbs of wet soap. Well, I only made a 4 lb batch and it was too much. I'm guessing 3lbs might be right. I plan on making another batch tonight or tomorrow and making 3 lbs to see where it comes up and the size bars it will make. So far I really like it and the liner was so cool. The soap turned out ugly as sin and the smell is just horrible. Too much banana comes through and not being a banana scent or flavor person, that's not O.K. with me. I want a larger size mold now so that I can do cpop with it. :cheesy2:

What size mold did your order?

Did you include the amount of water/milk in with the weight of your oils? I almost made the mistake the other day of only figuring the weight of the oils when I was increasing the amounts to make a larger batch. At the last minute I remembered that I didn't figure in my water weight for the total weight.