come on, shipping has not gone up THAT much?

Or has it? I have to admit I am bad about skimming my invoices when they first come in, then they pile up and I go through them all at once about every two weeks.

So, from one of my suppliers i had an invoice from a couple of weeks ago. It was for a 300lb shipment and the shipping charge was $86.75. ouch. I thought that was a tad bit high, so I started digging through old invoices. There was one from the same supplier from last November. It was for a 512lb shipment. The shipping charge was only $78.95

So I can understand an increase in shipping, but wow, a 512lb order in November was almost $8 CHEAPER than a 300lb order this month? That is a 212 lbs difference. it has to be a mistake, right?

And yes I have an email into them. Just curious if I am kidding myself and it was not a mistake? :embarasse

How was that shipped? Via truck?

I just shipped 75lbs across the country and it was $63 through Fed Ex.

Just for fun, I went to UPS to see what it would cost through them and they have 150lb limit per box, so for 4 boxes @ 125lbs each total of 500lbs, ground service was over $200.

They shipping company might offer a discount over certain weights too, so maybe that affected your rate? I don't know...reaching here...lol

Small package base rates (UPS, FedEx, etc) go up every January. LTL rates go up once a year based on contract dates.

When you ship something, you are being charged the base rate plus a Fuel Surcharge. The Fuel Surcharge changes every Wednesday and is based on the cost of fuel each week. (The rate comes from the U.S. Department of Energy US National Average Diesel Fuel Index.)

In the weeks before the hurricanes, the FSC averaged between 12-14% a week. Immediately after the hurricanes, it rose to between 19-22%. It came down to around 15% at the beginning of Dec. and then started rising again in March.

Shipping costs are calculated on the base rate x the FSC rate. When you get a rate, either on-line, or a quoted LTL rate, that weeks FSC is already figured in.

Bottom line....You can ship something one week, ship the exact same thing, to the exact location the next week, and the rate can be different due to the fluctuating FSC.

Well, my supplier was very nice and was right on top of it. They called me personally to explain it over the phone.

Yes shipping has gone up, and I knew that, but even considering that increase, my totals were still really off in my mind. SO, guess what else UPS did in January 06 in addition to raising shipping prices? They decided if you order over 100lbs and it is being shipped to a residence instead of a business, they are going to tack on a $20 fee. I did not know that. So that pretty much negates (and then some) your 200lb shipping discount.

No problem. I have a friend in town who owns a business and he will be MORE than happy to take my shipments. The best part is that delivering tons of wax to his business will be MUCH more difficult than wheeling it into my garage. But hey, I will save $20. So :tongue2: to UPS.

I actually gave a shipping qoute to a very nice lady yesterday. For 200# it was $63. She emailed me back and told me that other candle suppliers were charging an additional $20 for UPS surcharge.. I am not sure why they are doing that because the qoute that I gave her was complete. I am thinking that some companies are raising there prices to make a little extra money.

Some items on my site are expensive to ship because of how much I have to package them. But I feel that the customer would be happier to get their items save and sound.

SO, guess what else UPS did in January 06 in addition to raising shipping prices? They decided if you order over 100lbs and it is being shipped to a residence instead of a business, they are going to tack on a $20 fee. I did not know that. So that pretty much negates (and then some) your 200lb shipping discount.

WOW.. That is the first I heard of that...:confused:

Did you contact UPS and check with them? I did not see anything about that on the ups site??

I just had a problem with a supplier telling me that my high shipping was a handling fee per box, fuel surcharge fee's by the shipping co. ect ect.(Lots of excuses) only to find out it was a scale problem on their end...

I will email UPS and ask them, cuz I would like to know the answer to this too!!! :confused:

I'd be interested to know what supplier this is? Nothing p*sses me off more than a supplier who makes a killing on shipping charges. I thought the worst offender on this was WSP but sounds like this supplier is even worse...to make up extra charges!

Just spoke to UPS!! There is no $20.00 fee to deliver to your home!!!:mad: :mad:

I would be P*SSED at the supplier for even telling you this.. The supplier added this charge!!

Don't know who you talked to at UPS - but using UPS software on a daily basis I can tell you that their software charges more for the shipment when we check the "residential" box vs. a commercial delivery. It is approx. $2-3 a box more. This is standard for UPS.

HTH

Don't know who you talked to at UPS - but using UPS software on a daily basis I can tell you that their software charges more for the shipment when we check the "residential" box vs. a commercial delivery. It is approx. $2-3 a box more. This is standard for UPS.

HTH

Yes I am aware of that.....and it is slightly higer, but

They decided if you order over 100lbs and it is being shipped to a residence instead of a business, they are going to tack on a $20 fee.

Per UPS - they do not Charge an added $20.00 delivery fee.

No - they don't charge $20 unless you have enough boxes delivered (like 6-8) to cause it be $20 more than if delivering to a commercial facility. Part of the problem could be that in the past - UPS used to not include the fuel surcharge in the software. Your account was billed after shipment. Many people had to try and make up for it by adding extra charges into shipping on the cart or come back and do another charge once they received the weekly statement from UPS. As of version 8 of UPS Worldship - those charges are now shown. And then again, some people do add handling fees, etc. when orders are placed and some can be high IMO.

HTH

I was told (by the supplier) it was a flat $20 charge BY ups for anything over 100lbs. Nothing was mentioned about number of boxes or anything else. Sigh. If I have time today and I am going to call ups as well as calling my supplier back. I totally realize that suppliers have to pass on their cost just like we do, but I would be upset if I find out they are trying to pad it for extra profit.

If shipping is so high then how do some of y'all and other companies offer FREE shipping. Do they just jack up the cost of the product to cover it, then say free shipping.

There is no way I can offer free shipping, I can't just give my products away. I charge what I charge then shipping no handling fee. Then maybe again I need to start charging a handling fee , a lot out there do, even the big shippers like QVC & HSN.

If shipping is so high then how do some of y'all and other companies offer FREE shipping. Do they just jack up the cost of the product to cover it, then say free shipping.

I think for these places shipping costs are built into their prices. The idea is that some customers may consider shipping to be money down the drain whereas if they have to pay a little more for the product and have it shipped free, they might see more value in it.

yep, shipping is defiantly on the rise. I just read an article that said (at least in MI) that gas prices are going to be at least $3.00 or more on average for the summer.

The UPS Store here said that as gas prices go up so does their shipping. They also told me that they charge a flat rate first for every box that is brought in no matter what the size is or how far it's being shipped then they add all the shipping charges/fees and as the gas prices go up so do the charges.

Another new article I read said that it is now on average, cheaper to fly most places then it is to drive.....it's nuts....

yep, shipping is defiantly on the rise. I just read an article that said (at least in MI) that gas prices are going to be at least $3.00 or more on average for the summer.

The UPS Store here said that as gas prices go up so does their shipping. They also told me that they charge a flat rate first for every box that is brought in no matter what the size is or how far it's being shipped then they add all the shipping charges/fees and as the gas prices go up so do the charges.

Another new article I read said that it is now on average, cheaper to fly most places then it is to drive.....it's nuts....

Rebecca are shipping from an actual UPS store? Or is it a store that has the ablitly to ship UPS? We have a hardware store that has the ability to ship UPS but they can actually charge whatever they feel like. Alot of times it is better to use UPS's online shipping and then drop off at these types of places..

You wanna talk shipping costs???? I'll give you a little math equation here. If I order 250lbs. of wax from Ohio to Ontario, the cost is almost $220.00 US for shipping. I'll take your $86.00 charge over mine anyday! BTW...that's UPS and I still get dinged another $100.00 Canadian in brokerage fees. :grin2:

Hi Lorrie,

This is one of those UPS stores. They ship UPS, have mailboxes and packaging materials. I asked them if the flat rate was because it was the store surcharge and they told me it was just what UPS charges....I don't know... they could be charging it themselves and just blaming it on UPS which wouldn't surprise me...lol. I'm not sure if those stores are owned by UPS or are a franchise deal. They charged a $5.00 per box fee at the time I used them. Didn't matter if the packaged weighted an ounce or 10 pounds...$5.00 right off the top....:tongue2:

Rebecca are shipping from an actual UPS store? Or is it a store that has the ablitly to ship UPS? We have a hardware store that has the ability to ship UPS but they can actually charge whatever they feel like. Alot of times it is better to use UPS's online shipping and then drop off at these types of places..

Interesting thread. :smiley2:

I called one of my suppliers today and ordered 200 lbs of wax and the shipping was 46.07 to my work. She said it would have been an extra 20.00 to deliver it to my house. Strange, huh? I don't know what version of the UPS software she was using. I am going to call UPS tomorrow and see what they have to say about this "new" charge for multi box residential delivery.

I did call UPS and they said there is no $20 flat rate chagre to deliver to a private residence. :tongue2:

They said that it would be the shipper charging this added cost...

So there are a few people receiving this $20.00 charge????

Would you mind telling us who the supplier is so we don't have to call every supplier to find out if they have a $20.00 charge...

It is not like your bashing them..

It is just their fee's and I know I would like to know who they are..

Here's another thing that will throw you for a loop. I have a commercial address and a residential address.. For anything that is under 200 pounds I ship to the commercial address. SHipping is cheaper that way.. BUt when I reach 200-300 pounds I ship to my residential address because UPS charges me the same exact rate when I get to this weight. And since I do all my shipping from there I don't have to handle the supplies twice.

I hope that this makes sense..