sand soy candles

I have this idea to try a container candle with sand on the bottom and soy wax on top. Just a half inch on the bottom, maybe place some embeds around the outside and the rest of the candle would be my regular soy candle. Has anyone tried this with anything else but gel? I am not interested in placing embeds in the wax, just the sand. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

if you do a search here, Soygirl makes what she calls appearing scenes(?)

...she attaches fishes to the bottom of a glass, using silicone glue, and then she adds a very clear soy wax over it and puts them on the candle warmers. As the wax melts, the scene appears.

She has a web site where she sells them.

The thread is on here somewhere, I think it starts with something like:

'the most awesome candle I've ever seen' ...something like that.

Anyway, I'm sure you can check out her web site from her profile, or PM her and she will direct you. They're really cool.

I would stay away from the sand thing myself...been there, done that.

It is very dangerous, and from a liability standpoint you could be biting off more than you want to chew.

Good Luck with your project. Please post pics if you can, I'd love to see them.

Fern-Marie

I think the sand candles look really neat and always wanted to make them myself. I have read "how to" awhile back, but cannot remember where. Maybe it was in a book. Seems like you have a lg. bowl? of sand, pour a bunch of high melt point wax in and let it glue to the sand, push another sm. bowl? into top of heap of sand. When all is hard take out small bowl? and pour in container wax after adding a wick. After dry, turn over, may have to heat a little maybe not. Then smooth with hand to remove loose sand. Anyway something like that, I can see it in my minds eye but my mind and eyes aren't that good anymore. Good luck and let me know what you find. I also remember the sand being different colored layers.