Removing Votive Wick Pins

What is the best way you have found to remove votive wick pins without breaking the bottoms. I have tried tapping the votive gently on the table, applying firm even pressure to the votive until the pin pops out and running a small blade along the bottom of the votive to release it. I find I damage more votives then I care to repour getting the pins out and would really like some advice on this.

I turn my votive over and place the pin on a hard surface, then holding the votive I push down on the votive. They release fairly easily and I have not had any problem with the bottoms breaking. Maybe some extra mold release or cooking spray on the base of the wick pin would help (if you hadn't already tried that). HTH :)

Usually I only have a problem getting the pin out if I have put it in the fridge to get it out of the mold. The cold wax contracts inward away from the mold, but also that contraction tightens it on the wick pin. Letting it warm back up helps, sometimes i have to let it sit overnight until it's damn good and ready to come out...LOL. The rest of the time is usually because of the wax around the bottom of the pins base. The base on my pins is just a hair smaller than the bottom of the votive. If I trim off the small overhang with a knife or fingernail, then push on the counter, it usually comes right off. :)

So, my way may sound violent, but it works everytime :). When I use 4794, my wick pins ALWAYS stick...always always always. Drives me crazy. I take the votive out of the votive mold, reach over and hit the wick pin against the concrete wall. LOL - they slide right now.

DanaE

I just had to do a bunch of non scented votives for a wedding and found out what a pain they can be. Usually the FO makes them slide off nicely. I sprayed the wick pins with mold release and then every one slide right off.

So, my way may sound violent, but it works everytime :). When I use 4794, my wick pins ALWAYS stick...always always always. Drives me crazy. I take the votive out of the votive mold, reach over and hit the wick pin against the concrete wall. LOL - they slide right now.

DanaE

Guess that's a good way to take out agression!:eek:

(May have to try that...lol)

For some reason I've had more problem when using a releasant t get mine out. If a wick pin gets stubborn, I put it in the fridge for about 10 mins. Sometimes they've been a little longer, but on those I let them come back to room temp and they pop out fine.

LOL between posting as rockin and Limehead, you always have me confused. the other day i wondered why you told me that you loved me, then saw it was Mike :)

See now that's Mike's fault LOL! Here I'm the limehead ;) I just forgot to sign Rob out. When he read this part of the board he'd start thinking now how do I know that?

Guess that's a good way to take out agression!:eek:

(May have to try that...lol)

LOL...I have a friend who went through a divorce and used to ask me if I had any "wicks to whack". She said it was a great way to work out her aggressions! She had the "whack" down to a science. One good whack and perfect bottoms every time.

• 3 weeks later...

The mini votive down-harvester machine is with 24 molds for votives of 1.75" round (top)x 1.5" round (bottom) x 1.75" tall, with a rounded flared top.

It has retractable wick pins, and you will be spared the trouble of reopening the stuck wick holes after harvesting the candles. The wick pins can retract inside the pistons (head molds of candles). Raise the wick pins when you pour wax. Lower them before you start to scrape the excess wax off. If you do not lower them, your scraper will bend them. After the excess wax is scraped off, raise the wick pins again to open the stuck wick holes, and then lower them down. As you can see from the photo, there is a hand lever and a hand wheel. The hand lever is for raising and lowering the wick pins, and the hand wheel is to raise or lower the pistons. When the pistons are raised, the piston head will seal the mold and the wax will not leak when poured in. After the votives are molded, the pistons are lowered to get the votives out of molds.

I have tried soy wax, beeswax, paraffin wax, and the little unit can utilize any candle making products. The soy does not stick to the machine any where. Besides, the machine is 100% manual, so candles with them are still hand-poured ones. In one hour, you can make 48 votives. With this machine, you produce candles faster and better. No need to bang molds on the counter top. No need to pour several times to refill the sink hole. No need to pull wick pins out by hand. No need to fumble with wick to make it erect and in the center of candle.

post-1203-139458378697_thumb.jpg

Pasted from the board's TOS:

Advertising

SUPPLIERS: Suppliers are welcome to participate in these forums with the following provisions. Advertising by suppliers is limited to the Supplier Announcement section of the forum. Do not use any other part of the forum or the PM system to solicit customers.

nuff said?