Wicking Problem with Harmony Blend

Ok, I've been testing this new Harmony Blend IGI4630) in an 8 oz. Square Mason..not normally a big deal, but I can't get the wicking right! I use 9% FO load with NG'S Lick me all over, and it's just either smoking real badly, or leaving hang up on the sides. Can anyone proffer some advice? CD's give the best throw with this wax, and I've tried CD 8,10,12,14...they all either smoked, and the 8 flickered out. And HTP 104, 93, 83 all either smoked or flickered badly as well. I'm going to try LX's next, but if anyone has tried this, can you please tell me what you did RIGHT? :) Thanks so much!!!

Well, I found that a 51z was what ended up working the best for me. I tried CD's, HTP's, cotton's and LX's and found the the 51 z was better for me out of all of them. The wicking monster sure loves to mess with us! Good Luck : )

I FINALLY gave up on the 4630. I have a case and a half sitting in my garage. I have made numerous posts on this wax throughout the year...have pretty much begged for help with it....I thought for a long time it was just me.I can't tell you the money I have spent trying to get this wax to work....and for good reason. It pours BEAUTIFULLY...and the throw is not that bad if you add the FO at high enough temps....but...IMHO...its a SMOKER!.....so I would say, its the wax, not you.....especially at 9% fragrance load.

I think that Trish uses this wax with success and loves it. Maybe she can offer you some guidance.

Did I mention I REALLY wanted this wax to work. I could get it locally, and it was so much fun to pour because it was so easy. Nice flat tops, colors beautifully.......but smokes like a chimney if you load it up with FO.

I am a newbie, but this is the wax we decided to go with. We have tried the HTP's and LX's....no luck. We recently started trying the Premier 700's. Other than the fact that we have to cut the wicks way back or they smoke (this is a double wicked 12 oz apothecary), they are doing beautifully. The testers we have going are almost out, and except for a "touch" of black on the side of one jar, there have been no smoking issues. The 700's are suppose to be for natural waxes, so maybe the 600's should be our next step. (We were sent the 700's in error...but free is free!:D )

If you haven't already requested a sample pack from http://www.wicknclip.com/ , that might be the answer....I sure hope so, because we have spent some time with this and I don't want to throw in the towel yet!! :undecided

Thanks so much!

Michael- I'm sorry for your waste!!! I'm used to the comfort blend, which is basically a really sticky horrible version of this stuff, but it wicks totally different.

I'll have to try the premier wicks. I requested some samples a while back and just received them the other day.

Thanks again!!

I do use this wax and have noticed that I have had to wick down compared to other waxes that I've used. I personally prefer the HTP wicks.

I don't use the same jar so I can't really recommend anything that way, but I would suggest cutting back on the FO a little. I never use more than 1oz/lb and that could help your smoking issues a little.

I also use the 4630 wax. i love it. I use a 10 oz. octogon jar and a 51-32-18 zinc wick. i get a full melt pool no matter what scent/color combination i use.

Well, I found that a 51z was what ended up working the best for me. I tried CD's, HTP's, cotton's and LX's and found the the 51 z was better for me out of all of them. The wicking monster sure loves to mess with us! Good Luck : )

I'm new here and I can't figure out how to post, lmao! Do you always use different waxes for different projects? Like votives and tarts?

Hi snow! Go back to the General Candle Making Discussions forum and click on the New Thread button on the top left. You can type your question there and will get more answers than you will in this thread. Also, you can click on the Search button up top and enter "Votive wax" or "Tart wax" and will get a slew of info. :smiley2:

Update" from my previous post: We are still having "smoking" issues with the HTP's and the Premier's with the 4630. We are double wicking a 12 oz apoth jar. We are going to try the LX16's in these to see if we have any luck with that. We had tried double-wicking with LX18's, and I don't remember any smoking issues, but they burned too hot and the melt pool was way too deep, so maybe wicking down with these will help.

Any advice is much appreciated! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my previous post:

We are in the stages of testing the LX16's with the 4630. The four jars we are doing are "behaving" so far. My Peaks Cinnamon is doing great. I am a little concerned about the small flames (double wicked 12 oz apoth) as it is nearing the end of the test, but there is virtually no soot on the jar. This is a first for me! :yay: We had soot with the LX18's, so wicking up is not an option. I will see how the other ones do before I decide if these are the "right" ones.