body spray

ILVCANDLES

Hi, if you don't mind could you please help me w/ my body spray question. I found a recipe off the board. I am using witch hazel distilled water and fragrance oil. However, when I mixed altogether the fragrance did not mix in it sank to the bottom. I think I need to use a fragrance oil modifier. I am not sure if this is right please let me know if I am heading in the right direction. Also, I read somewhere mix 4 parts modifier to 1 oz fragrance oil. I am such a ding dong (embarrassed) I don't know what that means?? Thanks!:undecided

I believe you can use anywhere from a 3:1 to a 6:1 ratio depending on the strength of the fragrance oil. I believe the witch hazel/distilled water recipe will not mix as oil and water do not mix. I use a cyclo/FO mix and still have some FO's do not mix. In this case I will mix some fractionated coconut oil and this will bind them (different FO's may take different amounts of FCO) (ie Clean Cotton just a little and Lavender, Cucumber & Sage will take more).

I don't use the oils, mine is water based. I use polysorbate 80! I just couldn't get the 20 to work for me.

For the oil modifier, when you go to label it, you've got to have the ingredients for it. Most companies aren't willing to give up their ingredient list. Better to keep to something you'll be able to sell down the line once you've got it perfected!

Hi thanks bunny for the info. Can you recommend a good place to get polysorbate 80. I just want to make sure I am understanding this right...I will use only polysorbate 80 and water base oils to make body spray. Distilled water and witch hazel w/ water base oils will not work?? Or am I using polysorbate 80 so I can use oil base oils??? Sorry I am a little slow. I really should stick w/ one thing at a time. It's hard doing candles and B&B at the same time. Thanks again for all your help!

ps I tried your bath melt receipe it works really good. Smells even better!!

With the poly 80, you won't need any witch hazel. And it's not a big deal if they don't shake the container - as the ps 80 emulsifies it and makes it water soluable. Just poly 80 into the fo, water, preservative. Extra water soluable goodies if you want to make it fancy! The witch hazel, water, and fo recipe I used to use was nasty after a while.

Thanks agian bunny for your reply...Can you suggest a place to buy poly 80 would I use the same ratio that I used for the water to witch hazel and what type of preservative should I use. I am so glad you told me to add a preservative because I would have not done this.

I don't use the oils, mine is water based. I use polysorbate 80! I just couldn't get the 20 to work for me.

For the oil modifier, when you go to label it, you've got to have the ingredients for it. Most companies aren't willing to give up their ingredient list. Better to keep to something you'll be able to sell down the line once you've got it perfected!

Hi Bunny,

I am confused about what you said about listing ingredients.

When listing ingredients for the cyclo/fo mixture with fco as a binder wouldn't you state ingredient list as :

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance Oil, Triglycerides of Caprylic/Capric Acid.

Is there something I'm missing?

Right.. But if you're using a water based spray with a fo modifier, it would be like this:

Water, Fragrance, (find the modifier ingredients and stick it here), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, FDC Blue 1.

Where mind reads Water, Polysorbate 80, Fragrance,Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, FDC Blue 1.

Two totally different beasts..

Right.. But if you're using a water based spray with a fo modifier, it would be like this:

Water, Fragrance, (find the modifier ingredients and stick it here), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, FDC Blue 1.

Where mind reads Water, Polysorbate 80, Fragrance,Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, FDC Blue 1.

Two totally different beasts..

Okay, I get it. And these are all INCI names for the ingredients of one preservative?

Am I correct in that without the use of water in the sprays there is no need for a preservative or should I be using one anyway?

I wouldn't think you should need one. I mean, if they take the cap off and add stuff would be the only way water would be introduced right?

And yes, all the funky words are the inci of one preservative - Phoenip.

So hate to butt in here but I have a question for you bunny, do you just use water, poly 80, f/o and preservatives to make your body spray? How much of each do you use? I have only made the sprays with the bases and was just wondering about this route.

Thanks

Angie

I wouldn't think you should need one. I mean, if they take the cap off and add stuff would be the only way water would be introduced right?

And yes, all the funky words are the inci of one preservative - Phoenip.

I thought so to both - LOL!! (I did a search on those names together and came up with that preservative.)

I like the way the sprays come out with the cyclo/fo mix for room spray, but wish I could add color to a body spray. Some of the oils are just not attractive as they are. I could always use a colored bottle instead of clear and that way no-one would see what they look like! LOL

Thanks for your help, Bunny!! :D

You can't use oil based colorants in cyclo? Never dug into that since I don't sell them, but just thinking out loud here!

Glad I could help ya! But I probably confused more people than I helped! LOL!

I believe the vodka recipe works well (not sure about 100% LOL - is it for wearing or drinking), but is for personal use only. You can't sell them with the vodka.

Bunny, I haven't looked into the oil based colorant. I'll have to check it out.