Cargill C3, problems with wet spots

I have been making gel candles for quite some time and decided to venture in to the wonderful world of soy candles a while ago. I have learned alot from watching this forum and the wonderful suggestions that have been provided to others. I have been using Cargill's C-3 Nature Wax and have been testing up a storm, and have pretty much been able to get my wicking and FO load down pretty well, , beautiful flat tops, creamy appearance, but am having an extremely difficult time with the wet spots with this wax. I am pouring a 14oz and 20oz vase jar, using 6% FO load, no additives, room at 75 degrees, warmed jar and pouring at 175. Nearly every candle that I have poured I have a large wet spot that takes up the entire half of the candle. I have searched the archives and am only able to find others that have had difficulty with frosting, but not much on wet spots that have occurred with this wax. Anyone that would have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am about at my witts end and am ready to move on to a new wax. I have ordered some of the new greenleaf blend hoping this wax will perform a little bit better for me.

Wet spots from time to time is alright, haven't had much of a problem with the frosting. But the entire half of the candle is pulling causing one continual wet spot. Candle looks beautiful after one day of cure, after the second day of cure, half of the candle has pulled away from the jar.

I do to at times, but it just gets a little frustrating after all of the time and work that you put in to making a beautiful candle. I have attempted to contact my supplier via email a week ago and have still not got a response. I have a couple of other things that I am going to try tonight and will let you know if I come up with anything.

The wet spots for me are on everyone,and yes half the jar.I heat my jars under 2 heat lamps while Im melting,I can get the table surface temp to about 96 degrees and inside the candle jar is about 88 degrees.I dont think there is a way to resist the wet spots..I never get frosting! My room temp is kept around 73-75 degrees.:grin2:

We are just starting out and have been trying different things. We are using Cargil C-3 also and we are having problems with no scent. I see you said you are doing great with your scent. What is your forumla for the scent? How much are you using? Does it fill the room. For us is smells great when we are melting and pouring but when it cures and we burn nothing! The manufacture we got the scents from say they are keys and don't use carrying oils and that is the best you can get so that is not the problem, so they say. Not sure what direction to go w/o spending to much money to scatch it all. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

We are just starting out and have been trying different things. We are using Cargil C-3 also and we are having problems with no scent. I see you said you are doing great with your scent. What is your forumla for the scent? How much are you using? Does it fill the room. For us is smells great when we are melting and pouring but when it cures and we burn nothing! The manufacture we got the scents from say they are keys and don't use carrying oils and that is the best you can get so that is not the problem, so they say. Not sure what direction to go w/o spending to much money to scatch it all. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Try other fragrance oils. Many of them don't throw in soy wax. I have had FOs with outrageous scent throw in paraffin, but in soy they are total duds. It's not a quality issue, just compatibility. One of the well-known problems with vegetable waxes.

Thanks

When are you burning them (next day, a week?)and what type wicks are you using, and yeah, where are the FOs from? What temp are you adding your FO? All can make a difference. I get great throw from this wax

Thanks guys for the help. Since I posted I tried burning the candles again and bam! Great Scent! I guess they need to sit about a week. I order my scents from Windy Hill Candle Factory in New Jersey. They say they only sell "Keys" which is the strongest you can get. When I was making the sugar cookie candle my husband could smell it while he was mowing out back by the field!

I am still pretty new at this but I use the Cargil C-3 and I am not having wet spots. I guess it was dumb luck. I Keep checking to see but I have poured the candles two weeks ago and nothing. Not sure why I am not getting them but I will tell you what I did.

I mixed it all, did not heat jars (didn't know I should at the time). Poured at 170-180 and left them on the counter. I didn't bother with the temp of the house (again didn't know I should be concerned). Beautiful creamy tops, not wet spots, and no frosting. Not sure which part made the difference.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been testing again, pouring at a cooler temperature and seem to be having a little bit more luck. Lil Wicks, I have been using Peaks and Natures Garden scents and have had very little problems with the scent throw even after only one day of curing. I am only using .5-.6 oz of scent due to the leaking that seems to occurr if I add any more. Hopes that this helps a little.

I have been using Peaks and Natures Garden scents and have had very little problems with the scent throw even after only one day of curing. I am only using .5-.6 oz of scent due to the leaking that seems to occurr if I add any more.
Your sweating problem is pretty odd. Are you sure that you're weighing everything correctly and your thermometer is reading right? Most FOs would not give you the slightest problem at 1 oz per pound in C-3. There's something fishy here.

For those useing the C 3 wax what wicks have you found to work the best in this wax? When I was useing C 2 wax, RRD's did awesome but now with the C 3 wax I don't seem to be getting the scent throw I was getting. I'm thinking it just might be the wick I'm haveing the problem with. Some of my tester have cured now for 2 weeks and still no scent throw. I know the FO's are good b/c they all kicked butt in the C 2 wax. So that's why I'm think I need a wick change here with this wax. Please help me I'm going nuts trying to figure this out!!!

Wow Islandgirl what a difference with the CD wicks. My testers are filling my whole house up now. I just knew it had to be the wick that was screwing me up. Thanks so much for your help. Cindy/WI

Cindy, I have luck with the CD wicks.. HTH :cool2: