6 inch 3 wicked molds

I've only attempted one of these big guys and, of course, my wick choice was incorrect. Been a while ago so I can't remember what size I used but I'm getting brave enough to try it again only not 6" tall this time! Any suggestions on where to begin? Some of these wicking charts are a little confusing!

TIA

Sheryl Norcal

I use a square braided wick for those, um... just a second here let me go look at the number. Ok, mostly I use a #1/0 square braid wick, but in a couple cases with black dye or a "thick" scent I had to wick up to a #5/0 square braid. Good luck!

I remember it took 6 pounds of wax and some fiddling with the wick pins :eek:! The dry bean ideas sounds like it could help me there too. I was trying to make a burgundy one and, of course, it drowned the wick. I intend to test using much less wax this time but want to make sure I have enough different wicks on hand first! I have #4 square and #2/0 here now so guess I'd better add your suggestions onto my next order!

Sheryl

I use a square braided wick for those, um... just a second here let me go look at the number. Ok, mostly I use a #1/0 square braid wick, but in a couple cases with black dye or a "thick" scent I had to wick up to a #5/0 square braid. Good luck!

I'm thinking maybe that's supposed to be #5 rather than #5/0? Or maybe wicking down, though that doesn't make sense with a "thick" scent. :confused:

Edited: Cuz I can't speel

I'm thinking maybe that's supposed to be #5 rather than #5/0? Or maybe wicking down, though that doesn't make sense with a "think" scent. :confused:

thick! and you may be right about the #5, but I'm home now so I'll double check tomorrow when I'm back at work. Sometimes I look at the spool ends a little bit too fast!

Please do check. I'm curious to find out too. I got one of these molds a couple weeks ago, but haven't tried because I have no idea where to even start with wicking :o

Seems like someone once mentioned cutting out little circles representing the burn area of a wick then placing them in the mold/container as a guide or something. Now I can't remember, nor can I find the thread :(

I've only made a few of them, but the last one I made I used 44-28-18Z and they worked really well. I think I used HTP 73's one time also.

I'm getting ready to make another one (I'm going to grubby it so it'll be a cake) and I'm going to use the 44-28Z again and pray that it's right!

DanaE

Please do check. I'm curious to find out too. I got one of these molds a couple weeks ago, but haven't tried because I have no idea where to even start with wicking :o

I was awfully tired yesterday apparently!! How about if I usually use #5/0 and wick up to #1/0 square braid???? heh. That makes MUCH more sense!

Seems like someone once mentioned cutting out little circles representing the burn area of a wick then placing them in the mold/container as a guide or something. Now I can't remember, nor can I find the thread :(

huh! I can see that working for a container, but my 3 wick molds came pre drilled with wick holes so I have no choice about where they are!

huh! I can see that working for a container, but my 3 wick molds came pre drilled with wick holes so I have no choice about where they are!

Just becaue they are pre-drilled does not mean that you could not plug the holes and drill new ones or drill the actual candle for wick placement. ;)

Just becaue they are pre-drilled does not mean that you could not plug the holes and drill new ones or drill the actual candle for wick placement. ;)

I've got one that has pre-drilled holes. Who ever drilled these holes couldn't measure for nothing. I have thought about making a template for wick placement, plugging the mold and then using the template to drill my wick holes.

Actually, in mine they can't be moved. It has 3 - 1/2" indentations where the wicks will be. Just my luck! Hopefully my holes are in the right place! As for the templates, for some reason I was thinking they would kind of show you how far out a certain wick would reach, according to size. Granted, it would be very general. That's why I said I couldn't remember, I just had bits of it and didn't know if it would help for sizing of multiple wicks or not. If I could have found the info, I would have checked before mentioning it.

The way I do it is to open Word. I use they draw tool bar to create a representation of the mold - there's a way to specify the eact size of the circle (excellent feature). I then create different size circles, smaller ones, to represent the burn area. So, for a candle that is 6" in diameter, you would probably want to start w/ 2" circles for the burn area.

Let's see if I can include a picture .... I am so sorry! That is so huge, but it's already only 50 kb. Hope you don't mind.

The great thing about using the DRAWING toolbar in Word is that you can play w/ the number of circles to use, different diamters, until you get a combo that you really like. :cool2:

post-482-139458377265_thumb.jpg

Mtngrl, I did pretty much the same trying to wick my jello mold candles but did it by hand. I'm working on a 7" (8 lb'r in a plastic bucket) I measured & marked the bottom of the bucket just like your drawing then copied that to a piece of paper. Poured the candle wickless then used the template on the top of the candle, poked holes in appropriate places & stuck wicks in the holes then did a little repour to set them in place. This is for testing purposes only & when I get the burn I want then I'll now where to place the wicks.

But I do have a question on the melt pools for these large candles. Is the goal to have the 3 melt pools form 1 large pool? I've purchased these from the store and they always make 3 separate tunnels. I've got 44-32-18Z burning in it now but the MPs have a 1/2 wall between them so I should wick up another size or two, right?

We have a huge pillar that has 4 wicks, all of them tunnel. It looks funny to me. I think I'd prefer a single melt pool, but couldn't really say for sure until I saw it. :undecided

I agree w/ DanaE about personal preferences. I have no desire to ever make a candle like that, but I think my goal would be for it to burn as if it were a "normal" size pillar in that I'd want all the wax to be consumed. As much as possible, anyway.

Btw, this was not a candle I made, it was store bought (& it shows).

That's what I thought - one big pool. Otherwise, the wicks don't burn well in those deep tunnels, henders the glow and waste so much wax. I've already replaced the 44-32s w/ 60-44s. The melt polls are now one but still have a little clover shaping on the outside of the mp. It took about 1 hr for the pools to merge after replacing the wicks. On this particular candle I do want to have a 1/2 outer wall - it'll be burning in a public place & I think that's safer. I think this wick is going to be a keeper :cool2:

Since this candle is 7", the 60-44-18Z would be too big for Sheryl's 6" candle unless the wicks were placed a little closer to the middle. And since I'm using straight paraffin & no FO, our results will naturally be different.