Candle Re Fills?

WOW! Didn't think I would get that many responses so quickly.

That's what I told her about it being a safety issue...but I got the feeling she didn't believe. This is when I told her to bring the container in for me to have a look.

I do like the idea of giving her a discount for the next jar. I will have to mention that to her.

Thanks again for all the response's,

Saltbox Pantry:grin2:

I do not refill jars for customers.

I just tell them it is a safety issue.

I know people do refill jars, but I personally do not feel comfortable with it.

Same here. It's not worth the risk. I do reuse my testing jars, but do not refill for customers.

I dont refill either. I think alot of it has to do with the customer not wanting to throw away a nice glass container. Lord knows I hate to throw away nice jars. We should all have our customers try to come up with ideas for using the old jars to make other crafty items. I guess function ideas would also work. I would have a contest and the best ideas for reusing your jars put on your display and give the winner a nice prize. I take my jars back for testers and to soak "cone" type incense in. Bruce

I've also been asked to refill various containers. I don't want to do it because of the wicked wick testing. But, many of you have brought up safety issues as well. I'm curious to know - what specifically could go wrong and why?

Also, do you refill your own jars that you have already tested?

Thanks!

I've also been asked to refill various containers. I don't want to do it because of the wicked wick testing. But, many of you have brought up safety issues as well. I'm curious to know - what specifically could go wrong and why?

Also, do you refill your own jars that you have already tested?

Thanks!

Jars that have been heated can weaken and when reheated over and over, can crack or burst. I've had a few testing jars crack for me and it can ruin someone's furniture if the jar isn't sitting on a candle-plate as well as cause personal injury to someone if they are picking up the jar, etc. Also, filling a jar that a customer randomly brings in isn't a good idea because you have no idea if the jar is strong enough to sustain burning a candle inside it. HTH :)

A fundraiser last fall featured 16-oz apoth with zinc lids. When I met with the group to schedule their spring fundraiser, they were eager to share all the neat things they did with their "classy jars" and told me what type they need next to complete the look of their decor.