Peaks Scents too strong?

We have been testing Peak Scents in 4630, and two of our testers said that they are TOO strong!! LOL I LOVE a strong scent, I STRIVE for a strong scent, and now they say it is toooooo strong. So here we are, sitting at the kitchen table, staring at all these tester jars, totally bummed out because our wicking must be wrong (soot all over the place), and now the scent is too strong. We just wanted to put our heads on the table and CRY.......

But back to my question....if you use 4630/1945 Harmony, do you find you need to use less of the recommended Peak fragrance (1 1/2 oz per pound of wax) or could it have been strong because it was overwicked? (They were Cappuccino Hazlenut and Hyacinth) And then there is the factoring in of, if we are putting in too much FO, is that causing all the soot or is it the wicking....OUR HEADS ARE SPINNING!!! :laugh2:

I know I can certainly put less in, and this may be the case for certain scents, but with the dreaded "candlenose", I don't know if I even can tell anymore!! LOL

Just curious as to what you have found while using Peaks Scents.

TIA!

Jane

I have never ever gone over 1 oz with a Peak scent yet! Your candles must be blasting people out of the house?

Thanks for making me laugh - I needed that! :D

When we were using Candles and Supplies scents, we were using 1 oz scent per pound, because that was what was recommended to us. Then we read the Harmony instructions, and they stated to use up to 1.5 oz per pound...but at the same time, we switched to Peaks Scents because we were not pleased with the weak scent we were achieving with the C & S....so, maybe we might need 1.5 oz of C & S, but 1 oz or less of Peaks would suffice.......our notebooks that record all this info are going to fill a room by the time we make our first perfect candle.....:laugh2:

The Harmony Blend can HOLD up to 1.5oz/lb, but that doesn't mean you need to use that much. I personally never use more than 1oz. If it doesn't throw for me at 1oz, I don't use that oil.

You'll need to wick down with this wax. Try going down two sizes from what you currently have.

I am not a strong knock your socks off scent lover. I like to smell the candle but not be overwhelmed by it. The first time I used Peaks Lavender I used it at 1oz per pound and WOW it was STRONG! I have a couple of Peaks scents that I can get away with 1/2oz per pound and they still smell very good. You are right about the notebook. It will be full before you make a perfect candle!

Trish, I use 4786 in a standard width (i.e. not the wide mouth) 8 oz jelly jar with 44-24-18Z wick. (The jar is slightly over 2" in diameter at the top and tapers downward slightly to about 2" at the bottom. ) So, I don't see how I could possibly go 2 sizes (or even 1 size) down, as this is already the smallest for a container. (The smaller ones are for votives and they wouldn't be long enough.)

You'll need to wick down with this wax. Try going down two sizes from what you currently have.

We tried our 12 oz apothecary's with HTP83's and two of the scents burned beautifully, but the next six left soot on the jars....I did not have the next wick down on the HTP's so I tried double-wicking one scent with LX14's and one scent with LX16's - when I searched the boards, I thought I found that sometimes the HTP's smoke a little more in the Harmony. I do have HTP61's, so maybe I will test those out this weekend. We also feel we need to re-test the ones that we thought did well....just in case....

I won't use over 1 oz pp in my paraffin wax (soy is another animal). I tested 4630, but could never get a great throw from it and every wick I tested smoked like crazy. If you can't go down another wick size, try a different type of wick, like the HTP or LX, etc. Also, using less fragrance oil should help the sooting once you get it wicked properly.

Trish, I use 4786 in a standard width (i.e. not the wide mouth) 8 oz jelly jar with 44-24-18Z wick. (The jar is slightly over 2" in diameter at the top and tapers downward slightly to about 2" at the bottom. ) So, I don't see how I could possibly go 2 sizes (or even 1 size) down, as this is already the smallest for a container. (The smaller ones are for votives and they wouldn't be long enough.)

When I mentioned going down two sizes, it was in reference to the 4630 wax that Jane was having problems with, sorry.

When I mentioned going down two sizes, it was in reference to the 4630 wax that Jane was having problems with, sorry.
No, I think we are still talking about the same thing. What I was wondering is, how would you wick down when switching to 4630 if you are already using a small wick for your prior wax. But I think Angela's answer makes sense.

Too much fragrance can start up a sooting problem. Try reducing some FO and see what happens. Go down to 1oz pp and see if the sooting goes away. If not then it is your wax. I am willing to bet it is the FO. Alot of Peaks FO's are extremly strong. Like Lavender. I added my usual amount once and didn't sell a single one. I cut it in half and people love it. Sometimes too strong is not good. You dont want to nausiate people.

Sounds to me like you also need to tell your testers to TRIM THEIR WICKSEACH TIME BEFORE LIGHTING THE CANDLES!:tongue2: That would account for all of the soot!

I would LOVE to be able to blame the soot on the tester not trimming the wicks - unfortunately, they are sooty for us also. :undecided

Thanks for everyones input...we have started testing with less scent and three different types/size wicks in these jars.

We also received the free Premier 700 wicks - I had requested the 600's since we use para, but they sent the wrong ones. No complaints from me, tho....FREE is FREE!! :D

I have searched the board in reference to the Premier 700's, but it looks like most people are still in the testing stages. We will be testing these in the 12 oz apoth and 8 and 12 oz metros.....WISH US LUCK - WE NEED IT!! :grin2:

I get a awesome hot and cold throw with 0.7 oz per pound of Cappuchino (I can never spell that right!) Hazelnut. I just loveeee that one from Peaks.

Only one I *gag* over is French Vanilla & Amber.. it's very strong to me at 0.3 oz per pound!

pix

I would LOVE to be able to blame the soot on the tester not trimming the wicks - unfortunately, they are sooty for us also. :undecided

Thanks for everyones input...we have started testing with less scent and three different types/size wicks in these jars.

We also received the free Premier 700 wicks - I had requested the 600's since we use para, but they sent the wrong ones. No complaints from me, tho....FREE is FREE!! :D

I have searched the board in reference to the Premier 700's, but it looks like most people are still in the testing stages. We will be testing these in the 12 oz apoth and 8 and 12 oz metros.....WISH US LUCK - WE NEED IT!! :grin2:

Definitely go with less fo. That should help. I am testing the 700 series now in J50 and it is looking good. They are burning much cleaner than the zinc. I want to switch to a soy blend though, so I'm not sure how much more testing I'll do with these in J50. But they are great wicks. Definitely give them a try.