Frosting

Well...from my previous post, I guess the problem I am having with my candles is frosting. It has started to get alot worse and I do not know why.

I am using the same wax, oils, & dyes...so I am not sure what the problem is. I make containter candles and use NatureWax C-3. The dyes I use are an eco-friendly dye that my supplier offers, but I am not sure the specific brand or anything. I do not want to put any chemical additives in my candles, so as I see it I have 2 options: find a new dye product line or do something to make the frosting look like it is supposed to be like that.

My questions are:

1. Do any of you know any reputable companies where I can get natural, environmentally friendly dyes.

2. Do any of you have any suggestions on different candle making techniques that can help to make the frosting look "natural" or make the frosting more difficult to notice, but without any chemical additives?

Thanks and sorry for the long posts!

Greetings,

Not sure where you live, but CandleScience has Soy based color chips, only there are only 4 colors.

Have you "played around" w/your pour temp, or warmed your jars, or cooled them w/a box over them??

Just thought I'd pass on some great tips I've gotten from here ;).

Repeat after me: FROSTING IS YOUR FRIEND. :laugh2:

OK, just messing around with ya here! But I really wanted to say that I embrace the whole frosting and rough texture of soy wax with both arms. The bumpiness and frosted look are kinda cool in my world! :wink2: And I agree with the other CT'ers who say their customers really aren't bothered by the look. I've sold gobs of soy candles and haven't had one customer yet complain about the way the wax looks. :)

I have heard that the texture and appearance bother lots of chandlers. But not this one. :grin2:

Hello there!!! I use the Pryme Color system by Barnloft candles.com and it is GREAT in Soy. Frosting does not bother me either , When I recieved my order from Barnloft they sent a free package of Frostop to help with frosting. you use 1-2% in natural waxes. you may want to check them out,,It is good stuff...JMO :D

Thanks for all the suggesstions.

Yeah...I have not really had anyone complain about it and I do not mind the way it looks...sometimes. Sometimes it just looks really weird and really just bothers me! It will do it on the top and then down just 1 side of the jar. Or it will frost at the top and then have big white circles on top of the light frosting. But...I guess it is just not as big of a deal as I am making it :)

Thanks!!!

Do you get frosting in every type of container you use? I recently switched waxes and found if I use a particular type of container I rarely get frosting. But if I use another type I get horrible frosting. I've been testing some of the EVO colors. I really like them so far. Very little frost and nice dark colors without the stinky permanent marker smell. EVO is much better than Pryme IMO, or any of the other color lines I have used so far.

Do you get frosting in every type of container you use? I recently switched waxes and found if I use a particular type of container I rarely get frosting. But if I use another type I get horrible frosting. I've been testing some of the EVO colors. I really like them so far. Very little frost and nice dark colors without the stinky permanent marker smell. EVO is much better than Pryme IMO, or any of the other color lines I have used so far.

Well, i have only been using one type of container. I have been thinking of trying something else to see if it has an effect. One thing I just recently figured out...I think the cold weather affects the frosting. I have some candles that I left in my car over night and it was pretty cold outside and they all frosted really badly. But, the ones in the house were fine!

Winter weater sure creates a problem in my candle making...when it was really cold I was having serious problems with sink holes. But I remember, when I started making candles in the summer I did not have all these problems. Hmmm...

By the way, where can you get the EVO colors? I have not seen that line before.

Thanks!

Well, i have only been using one type of container. I have been thinking of trying something else to see if it has an effect. One thing I just recently figured out...I think the cold weather affects the frosting. I have some candles that I left in my car over night and it was pretty cold outside and they all frosted really badly. But, the ones in the house were fine!

Winter weater sure creates a problem in my candle making...when it was really cold I was having serious problems with sink holes. But I remember, when I started making candles in the summer I did not have all these problems. Hmmm...

By the way, where can you get the EVO colors? I have not seen that line before.

Thanks!

I got the EVO colors from Candlewic. I recently saw another place that is starting to carry them but I forgot who. If I remember I'll let you know.

You may want to try a few different jars. I've tried the same formulas in different jars and I get the same results every time. I'll just have to stick with the straight sided type of jars. They are easier to wick anyway.

I have used C-3 in the past and bear in mind that all types of soy wax can develope frosting but after I swithched to 415 plain soy I rarely get frosting. for me every candle poured with c-3 had major frosting issues. I personally won't ever use it again.