Shrink hole...HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am new to candle making and I am experiencing some difficulty with

shrink holes.

I know that with any wax it is going to shrink at least a little but when I do

my candles in glass containers, I pour to fill the shrinkage twice after the first initial pouring and then let them sit many hours.

When they are completely cured and setup I am left with about a half inch deep hole right directly around the wick.

I have seen the shrinkage be the whole top of the candle, but have never seen it as an actual hole.

Am I doing something wrong by what Im being left with?

Is this a paraffin wax or a soy/veg wax? If the latter, pour cool. I wait until the soy wax is starting to develop a slight film on the edges, then pour. It gets rather slushy quickly at this point, but pouring cooler helps eliminate some shrinkage.

Also, sometimes it helps to let the candle cool slowly, such as in a styrofoam ice chest or cooler, or in a box insulated with crumpled newspapers or wrapped in towels or blankets. If they cool down too quickly, sinkholes can develop. HTH

Couldn't hurt usually it's done with pillars but I just poke holes around the wicks in all my candles to clear the air pockets. Let it sit then repour. Some others who do more candles can chirp in :D

Also tap the sides of the jar lightly and try pouring cooler in a preheated mold.

This is a paraffin wax.

Everyone has told me to pour at 190'...

I pour for tarts, pillars and votives this hot, but not for containers. Check to see if your wax is a "one pour" -- if not, you're just going to have to do repours. Also check with the wax's manufacturer for pouring temp recommendations. Pouring temps for container waxes are different from pouring temps for pillar/votive wax blends. You want to pour molded candles hot so the finished candle will shrink away from the mold and release from it. But with containers, you usually want less shrinkage and good adhesion to the container. So you pour cooler typically. And let them cool slowly, as I mentioned before.

HTH

Edited to clarify too many vague pronouns ~ LOL

I believe the shrinkage is due to pouring too hot. The hotter the wax, the bigger it gets, so that when it cools back down to room temperature, the more it shrinks. For a paraffin container wax, I normally pour at 155-165 for the first pouring, and then do 10 degrees higher for the repour. Try doing it cooler than what you've been doing and let us know how it works out.

It sounds like you're doing repours before the wax has set up. Wait until it's completely cool. You might also find it helpful to cool a little more slowly and evenly, especially if your space is cold or has drafts. Maybe group the containers under a box or arrange them on the (turned off) oven rack.

I don't think the pouring temp is your main problem, though you could go a little cooler, especially if your containers are large. The manufacturer recommends 180-190.

I used to get craters worthy of burying Jimmy Hoff in if I poured my 4627 higher than 155 degrees. Anything under that temp was an almost perfect pour. Man I don't miss that wax.
I could have sworn Sarah said she was using Classic Blend, which isn't a one-pour anyway, but I think I spaced and took that from Lindsay's post.

I use IGI 4630, and it really is a one pour wax for me. I mostly do tins, so I don't worry about wet spots. I don't preheat my tins, and I pour around 150-160. I get flat tops every time, and don't have to repour for air pockets. I pour very slowly.

When I use glass, I do preheat because I just HAVE to minimize the wet spots.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first Ive come accross this problem...

Im burning one of my newest made candles. It is parrafin in an 8oz tin and is burning a hole down through the center instead of throughout the entire candle. Never had this happen before.

What caused this?

Its burning about a 1 inch in diameter hole but not burning the other 1/2 inch on the edges.

This is the first Ive come accross this problem...

Im burning one of my newest made candles. It is parrafin in an 8oz tin and is burning a hole down through the center instead of throughout the entire candle. Never had this happen before.

What caused this?

Its burning about a 1 inch in diameter hole but not burning the other 1/2 inch on the edges.

I take it you're using plain, straight paraffin, is that right? Observe the burn and figure out which solution applies:

If the candle is burning down into air pockets around the wick, you can get rid of them by pouring cooler into preheated containers and cooling slowly. If there's any question about it, you can also probe around the wick to find any cavities and fill them with the second pour.

If the wick is drowning because there's too much of a dip in the center, you can adjust your pouring temperatures and timing to get a flatter top (best solution), or flatten it with a heat gun (alternative solution).

If the wick is too small, try a larger one.

Yes, I did use parrafin for a couple of tins...have 15lbs left and trying to get rid of it.

This is the same parrafin I used to pour about 10 glass containers a couple weeks ago that seem to be burning great and are twice the size in diameter with the same wick so Im thinking its probably not the wick.

I dont see that the wick is drowning either...

They make one pour container waxes and I think that is the way to go. I tried out 12 different types of container waxes (soy and paraffin) before I found the one I currently use. It is a one pour soy blend that works GREAT in the jars I use. It also works consistently with any wax and has never pitted or frosted. Try Taylored Concepts 50/50! It is the BOMB!