Brown Soap Question??

gloworm

Ok I have made London Lemon Curd and Pink Sugar CP's. Pink Sugar turned a really dark uneven brown, Lemon Curd is trying to go nasty brown too even though I used lots of yellow oxide. I know this is due to vanilla or something in oil. Question-does anyone know how to keep them from changing? I have titanium dioxide but haven't used it yet. Wasn't sure exactly how to use it or how much or even if it would help?? Anyone know? I did get a pink sugar in a swap that was actually pink- someone knows what they are doing, LOL

Glo

I am not TD will help. As you said, vanilla has that tendancy. My London Lemon Curd also is turning. It was a bright yellow almost like a lemon yellow but has now discolored to a dark gold color as well. I would be curious as well to know if the TD will make a diff.

Anything with coconut will usually turn brown too, though there are some that don't. You have to save either with the reverse swirl like Bunny said or a very clever name. TD will lighten it a bit, but you'll still have brown.

You can find a few vendors that say they have a non discoloring vanilla, but the ones I've tried don't smell like vanilla.

About the only other option you've got is to try to hot process it. Adding the FO after the cook will limit the discoloration, if not totally get rid of it.

Well I've HP'ed Pink Sugar twice. Once with some TD, once without. Both times it went dark brown, but even darker without the TD.

A blind swirl means you take a portion of unscented batter and swirl in into the main batter that is scented with a discoloring fo. Eventually the main portion will discolor and your unscented swirl portion will remain white, but because both parts of the batter are still white when you're swirling, you can't see what you're doing. Hence, it's a "blind" swirl in that you won't see the results until a few days later when the main part of the soap starts turning brown on you. :)

I agree with Robin -- the non-discoloring "vanillas" don't smell like vanilla to me.

I learned about blind swirls from Sara (thanks for that tip!!) and have tried it twice with Pink Sugar since it turns so dark when soaped. Both times my blind swirls didn't turn out and were barely noticeable. Sara posted pictures of one her beautiful blind swirls she did. I"ll have to see if I can find that post.

I found the post but the pics are coming through for me. I'll post it anyway in case the pics come through for others.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545&highlight=blind+swirls

Oops, you think I should have read it first? :laugh2: Somebody used it in Pink Sugar and it stayed pink but it was HP (I think).

E, you are correct. She did it HP and used this additive and I would say that it's not any darker than a tan, would you agree with me? (on the color).

Regarding swirls in some of those FO's that turn dark brown. SW's Pink Sugar will eat up a swirl, I tried it a few different ways, over time, nothing worked. I've tried another Pink Sugar that smells just as good (if not better) and it's been over 6 weeks now and no hint of the swirl being swallowed up. (I think the vendor is indiana candle supplies, not sure, 1st time ordering).

So if you swirl and it disappears also, don't fret.

Another thing I did different with my PS batch this time, I sprinkled some pink mica on the bottom of the mold and it really makes the front of the soap look great, between the swirl (that is holding this time) and the mica, I don't think anyone would have qualms of buying and/or using.