Mottling

Hi, My Name Is Robbie, I Made Candles A Couple Of Years Ago And Now I Have Decided To Get Back Into It. I Have Two Questions First What Is The Benefit Of Pouring A Container Candle At 150 Vs 170, And The Other Question, The Last Time I Did This I Didn't Have Any Problems With Repours, This Time I Am Having Mottling On The Tops. If I Need To Furnish The Type Of Wax Or Any Other Particulars I Can, But If It Is Something Basic, Maybe Pouring Too Fast Or The Temp Thing Which Was My First Question. Help!

Thanks For Any Advise

Robbie

The point of pouring cooler is to decrease shrinkage. If you use straight paraffin plus fragrance it will mottle. Or maybe you have some other type of mottling going on. But yes, it's always good to furnish all the details up front as sometimes sadly our psychic powers are on the blink.

The point of pouring cooler is to decrease shrinkage. If you use straight paraffin plus fragrance it will mottle. Or maybe you have some other type of mottling going on. But yes, it's always good to furnish all the details up front as sometimes sadly our psychic powers are on the blink.

blink blink blink......no psychic powers going on here.....better get back to my wax...... Donita

oh....and I agree with Top.

Okay, sorry, I am using IGI 4627, and jelly jars that are 1/2 pint, and I have been pouring at 150 most of the time, but sometimes the thermometer is at 170. I am always afraid that it will cool too much and have chunks going into my containers. I am not using additives with this wax. I forgot to order UV inhibitor and plan to with my next order of supplies. Right now I am doing experimental pours so I am using 1 oz of scent to 13 oz of wax and color buds. Am I missing any other info, for a possible diagnosis of my mottling? Thank you for the explanation on the pouring temp.

Robbie

Hi there

I am by no means an expert and I unfortunately don't know your wax, but generally mottling indicates that there is unbound oil in your wax. To prevent this from happening, you can use additives such as Universal Additive or Vybar to bind the oil. Be careful of not using too much, because it can bind the fragrance oil to the extent that it affects your scent throw negatively. If it is a pre-blended wax, these generally already contain these additives, so it could simply be that you are using more oil than your wax has a capacity for, so try decreasing the % oil used.

HTH

Katinka

It is a blend, it is called a comfort blend, it came in a 25 lb box, I use a wooden spoon to scoop it into a bowl on my scale. U may be right about the amount of scent because I am using 1 oz to 13 oz of wax. I will try using 3/4 oz to my 13 oz wax and see if it makes a difference, thanx for the input.

Robbie