Scrubbies in scrubs : )

maryann

Am I missing anything else?? There's brown sugar, many differ types of white sugar, jojoba & vita beads, ground apricot... anything else for a BODY scrub that's more on the abrasive side like the ones I named (not too abrasive take your skin off type) ??

I'm using jojoba beads, and sugar but would like one more scrubby w/ a differ feeling to it than these two.

TIA :)

Have you tried sanding sugar? I use that. It looks just like turbinado sugar but is clear, not brown. It doesn't interfere with coloring your scrubs. I removed the brown sugar and turbinado because of the color. Now I use white granulated and sanding sugar. The sanding sugar is also called crystallizing sugar. Look for it in specialty bakery stores. I get mine at the Safeway bakery. It isn't a retail item, you have to ask if they'll sell it to you.

I have pumice so I think I'll try that! I wasn't sure about it as I never hear of it in anything but foot scrubs. The nice thing about pumice is that I've found I can dye it to the color scrub I'm using. The first time I used it (uncolored) and my foot scrubs turned a nasty gray from a nice shade of green after I added the pumice.

Who sells the most variety of fibers, I've seen a supplier but can't remember who as I wasn't interested in them at the time so I can't recall (isn't that how it always is).

Thanks Carrie for the idea on the sanding sugar I'm going to check into that, is it fine like pumice or a larger granular (can you compare its size to anything for me?)

THANKS for much for the help :)

Oh yah, I totally forgot about the coffee grounds, but man don't use too much!!

I always grind mine on espresso which is super duper fine, looks like powder compared to the way you get it in the can already ground.

Anyway, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in a 2lb. log of soap, and OMG I thought I might scrub all my skin off!! :eek:

It's mighty scrubby for sure!:laugh2:

Cornmeal is interesting, but I'd be afraid it would add thickening properties to whatever you were making, no???

I know MMS has some different fruit fibers and seeds, but not sure who has the most variety. You might try an herbary, I have a few of those bookmarked if ya need 'em. ;)

Oh yah, I totally forgot about the coffee grounds, but man don't use too much!!

I always grind mine on espresso which is super duper fine, looks like powder compared to the way you get it in the can already ground.

Anyway, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in a 2lb. log of soap, and OMG I thought I might scrub all my skin off!! :eek:

It's mighty scrubby for sure!:laugh2:

I use the grounds right out of the can! I like scrubby :D

Yah, I can imagine the seeds being a lot scrubbier than the coffee grounds since they are a bit bigger-think if I add those I'm just gonna use a very tiny amount.

Julia, how much coffee grounds do you use pp?? I can't even imagine using the reg. ground coffee. YIKES at least for a body soap.

That batch that I made with the espresso ground beans is definitely a kitchen soap-works GREAT for getting that onion smell out of my hands!! ;)

But man I tried it in the shower my bod was RAW!! LOL

Although I love a good loofah soap, and no one else in my house likes those, they think they are too rough!!

Julia, how much coffee grounds do you use pp?? I can't even imagine using the reg. ground coffee. YIKES at least for a body soap.

Do you mean in a scrub or a soap? My coffee soap is labeled as a kitchen soap. Send me your address and I'll send you a sample of the scrub if you'd like.

I'm real bad, but I just kind of dump the grounds in both my scrubs and soap without measuring :undecided

Finely groud apricot kernal meal is one of my favorites.. But not in soap, it's waaaay to scrubby. Only in scrubs.

I have this and luv the way it feels but the color is wrong :D, it doesn't go good in pink, light purple, etc. .... thats my problem finding the right scrubbies to go w/ the right color.