candle scenting

I am new to making candles and have tried all types of scent (solid,liquid, essential oils etc) and can't get any real scent throw off. I found this great website and read about how you figure scent to wax pounds. I thought that was the problem. I did a test candle and still can't smell anything. I followed the formula . I used Paraffin wax with a melting point of 133-135 and low oil content. I would like to have a realtively strong scent candle. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Thanks for the response. I am making pillar candles. I am melting the wax in a pot.Once it is melted, I put in the fragrance and mix and pour the wax into the plastic mold. I have bought the fragrances at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. They have been bars of fragrance or liquid--small bottles. I have recently followed the 1 ounce of fragrance to pound of wax--I thought that this would solve the problem--but the test candle didn't seem any better. lp. I have made them with dye and without. I added snow flake oil once. Beyond that, that is it. I get the same results.Iappreciate you help!

In some I put in dyes alone--same result. I followed the instructions in the package for the color. It came out great. I have put snowflake oil in and followed the directions and it was fine. I have done them without any additives and I still get no fragrance. They are pillar candle. Thanks for your help!

I have gotten good throw from those fragrance oils in votives and container candles.

Some pillar waxes are not very good at giving off scent when burning -- some are better. I've gotten decent throw from pillar candles (still not as good as containers, mind you! LOL) but you've got to hunt for a wax that is rated for good throw. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for scent load, and add the scent at the correct temperature to make sure it really binds with the wax. I use a wire whisk to make sure my fo is fully incorporated.

In addition, sometimes candles need a brief cure period before they really give off scent. If I think of any other tips for getting good throw from pillars, I'll post. I always think of something else after I hit the "submit reply" button. LOL

Edited to add: Just thought of something else. (Told ya! LOL) Too much vybar will bind the scent and it won't throw well. Also, when I said I got good throw from those fragrances at the craft stores, I meant the liquid kinds. :)

Crafty, I have to disagree with you on this one. I say don't waste your money on the fo's from a hobby store. I used them a long time ago and never did get a good smelling candle. AND they're expensive. Even with the cost of shipping you would do better to order a sample pack online from a reputable supplier. Go to the fragrance section and read some of the reviews and find one of the good suppliers close to you to help defray the shipping cost.

Oh and typically like Crafty said a container candle will throw much better than a pillar. I think it's the bigger/deeper melt pool that makes the difference.

I agree that the hobby store fo's are too expensive. I wasn't really recommending to her that she keep using them; I was just saying I got decent throw from them. But in containers, not pillars. :)

I think that one of the reasons containers throw better is that they are enclosed. Lids and jars seem to keep the scent in better. I also think it's because typically, many of your container waxes are designed with scent throw specifically in mind so they give good scent. JMO, FWIW! :wink2:

I also would say that the FOs you get from either hobby lobby or micheals are not up to par with good FOs from companies like Peaks. I sometimes still use craft store wax when I'm in a bind.... but always go for a good quality FO. Even the online retailers quality varies. from one company you might have to use 2 or 3 times the amount of fragrance that you would have to use to get the same scent throw as a good one. I only make pillars, and people tell me they sometimes wait 6 months to light my candles because they smell great without even burning them, which of course means they wait that much longer before coming back, but hey... they like 'em;)

I do pillars and find I get a good throw - both hot and cold....but like everyone has said, the better the fragrances you are using, the better the throw and alot depends upon the wax you are using. Peaks has some awesome fragrances, as do a lot of other on-line companies and for the price you are paying at Michaels or Hobby Lobby you will find lots of great products on-line. Try buying a 'sampler' pack so you can try them and then decide on larger quantities.

I also have to disagree about using a wire whisk to incorporate the fragrance into the wax....you will be introducing lots (too much) air into the wax....just stir (I have always used a wooden spoon) for about a minute or two before you get ready to pour to incorporate your fragrance into the wax. Some fragrances are 'heavier' or harder to incorporate than others but if you stir long enough it will happen. (you will know if you have NOT stirred enough by the oil at the bottom of your pour pot!)

Good luck and welcome!

Debbie

I think the best answer is to ditch the Hobby Lobby FOs.

Fragrance oils are the thing you have to be the most selective about in making candles. Quality varies between suppliers and Hobby Lobby is towards the bottom of the heap. Even from a good supplier, the amount of throw will vary with the fragrance, so it pays to test a variety of products and be selective.

You can get very good throw from a pillar if you choose carefully.

Go rummage around the Fragrance Forum and get familiar with some of the suppliers that CT members prefer. Try ordering from a few of those, especially if they're close to you.