Help-what would cause this?

I am testing a new scent out Ocean Mist. I am testing in a 16 oz apothecary jar and burnt it last night for a few hours and it was fine. I lit it today and about 1 hr 30 min. later the wick went out. I tried to relite it and it would not lite. The i noticed the melt pool never harded almost like it is water and it just sitting in the candle. I am completely puzzled over this. Does anyone no why this would happen?

Thanks!!

J 223 can have pockets of water in it. In the process of making this wax into slabs they use a water cool system & in this process water can get into the wax. You will find the water pockets in the end of the wax that is sunk in. Cut open that end and check for water. If it's there drain it out and leave out in the open to evaporate the rest of the water off.

You will know if water is in the wax when you melt it. If it pops, when you melt it, that is water. If you here the poping when you melt it you can't get the water out now and that batch is wasted, unless maybe for wax melts (but I would'nt use it for that).

So when you get in a new case of J 223 cut & check for water before you use any of that wax.

So when you get in a new case of J 223 cut & check for water before you use any of that wax.

If you do find water/moisture ...... just make sure that you carefully raise the temp. a little higher when melting to get rid of the water. Like candle man said ....... you will hear it popping. When it's done popping, your water should be gone. hth ;)

If you do find water/moisture ...... just make sure that you carefully raise the temp. a little higher when melting to get rid of the water. Like candle man said ....... you will hear it popping. When it's done popping, your water should be gone. hth ;)

That part is not entirely true. The reason you don't here popping is besause the water is now in much smaller parts all throughout the melted wax. I was told by BCS that heating the wax with water in it will not get all of the water out and will reuion that batch.

I thought I could heat the water out of a batch of wax. I made my container candle as normal. Then when I tested it the wick would not stay lit for very long.

J223 gets water inbetween the slabs, because of the temperature changes between regions. In the winter, I never have water between my slabs, but summertime comes, and I can soak up about 2 shop rags between 2 slabs. I literally have about a cup of water in the plastic when the last slab is pulled out. So wipe your slabs before use, and when you melt your wax, before adding anything to it, check the bottom of your pot, and you will be able to see water droplets on the bottom. Water sinks in wax, so you will need to pour out the good wax and be careful not to get any water into the good wax. Chunk the leftover bottom stuff. OH and DO NOT stir before checking for this. Let it settle. Luckily I have a Presto with a spigot about 1 inch above the bottom, so I just chunk my slabs in there, and dont use the bottom stuff ever. I will clean out my presto ever now and then between a few slabs, just so the water does not build up high enough to come out of the spigot. HTH

Patchoili does this to me as well. No matter what wick, single, double.. that fragrance seems to clog the wick so that it will not light. The first burn it burns for a while, then drowns out. Might be the fo..

J 223 can have pockets of water in it. In the process of making this wax into slabs they use a water cool system & in this process water can get into the wax.
Is this peculiar to J223 or do other waxes have this too? That is, do I need to check all my waxes?

Is this peculiar to J223 or do other waxes have this too? That is, do I need to check all my waxes?

I don't know about other slabed waxes. I was told this info by BCS when I called them and I had water in some of my J223. He told me he use to work in a wax factory and explained about the wax slabber and how it works. There are 2 types of slabbers and one has more of a chance of getting water inside the wax as a pocket of water.

edited did not check spelling

Patchoili does this to me as well. No matter what wick, single, double.. that fragrance seems to clog the wick so that it will not light. The first burn it burns for a while, then drowns out. Might be the fo..

Could be your FO, depending on where you got it, but might just be your wicking as this is a difficult FO to wick. So far I've not had problems with it, but then I'm getting close to sampling another supplier.