Shrink Wrap Odor

Carol M

Has anyone ever noticed their shrink-wrapped votives or tarts taking on a "plastic" smell? I had gotten shrink wrap and an impulse sealer some time back and am just now getting around to trying them out. I kept playing around and finally got my tarts to look pretty good, but I was unwrapping them (just to see how hard the wrap was to get off) and there is a definite "plastic" or maybe even "burned plastic" odor. Is this common, or maybe just the brand of shrink wrap I am using? If others have noticed it, does it go away?

Oh good lord...I sure hope not! Where did you get your shrink wrap? I got mine at Packco, but am wondering if the PVC type will suck out the scent? It would stink (no pun intended lol) to have bought all of the supplies to do it this way to then find out that it doesn't work well...

I bought some shrink wrap from them a while back and had the same problem. I now use the shrink wrap tubing from packco and it's awesome. It's really easy to work with and doesn't give off any scent at all. If you sniff the votive, you smell nothing...none of the scent leaking out, and no plastic smell, either. HTH!

Thanks for the information. I was just practicing on some old tarts I have had laying around for a long time, so it's nothing lost. I was figuring it must be my particular brand of shrink wrap, since I had never seen any mention of this problem on the board before; and so many people seem to use shrinking as a packaging method that it surely would have been brought up before now if it were a general problem. Guess I'll check out Packco:D

• 1 month later...

I was searching the forums and wanted to bring this thread back up to check something out. :wink2:

I am ready to order the tubing for my impulse sealer - but am a bit confused. I have read Polypropelyne is the way to go, but all the shrink wrap I find is made from PVC....is this acceptable also?

Edited to add: On further searching, I found out that people DO use the PVC with good results. I need to search a little longer before posting next time...sorry.

My intention is to fill the 18-pk cardboard votive boxes, then shrink-wrap them until we are ready to go to the shows.

Just one more teeny-tiny question (I HATE to be a PIA, but I have not seen this particular question addressed before)....will the candles be ok shrink wrapped in a cardboard box? LOL

Thanks again all.....I am REALLY hoping to be able to contribute SOMETHING soon.......Jane

I get the tubing from Packco as well and had comments during a votive swap that my votives smelled like plastic, no cold throw... :angry2:

I haven't unwrapped any of my pillars to see how they smell...guess I should go do that!

I get the tubing from Packco as well and had comments during a votive swap that my votives smelled like plastic, no cold throw... :angry2:

I haven't unwrapped any of my pillars to see how they smell...guess I should go do that!

Uh, oh...glad I didn't go ahead and order the tubing yesterday!

Does anyone else have a supplier that they are happy with?

Ok I don't use shrink tubing of any kind, but I just wanted to say that I've gotten lots of shrinked wrapped tarts from peeps here (we did a swap) and they DID stink even after unwrapping them, but while burning they were fine. ;)

I know that the shrink wrap BAGS I use from Papermart do NOT smell at all, if that helps any.

They (papermart) may even carry the tubing I don't know, I've never really looked for it there, I just know they have really good prices on their shrink bags (IMO at least) and they work great for my applications.

You may just want to see if you can get samples from a couple of different suppliers, be honest with them and tell them what you're looking for/not looking for and go from there. :)

HTH

They (papermart) may even carry the tubing I don't know, I've never really looked for it there, I just know they have really good prices on their shrink bags (IMO at least) and they work great for my applications.

You may just want to see if you can get samples from a couple of different suppliers, be honest with them and tell them what you're looking for/not looking for and go from there. :)

HTH

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever find a source for shrink wrap that doesn't smell like plastic? I recently bought a system and the shrink wrap that came with it is just AWFUL! What's worse is that the supplier is also a candle manufacturer! Seems like they wouldn't carry a product that is totally unsuitable for candle wrapping! I wrapped a very strongly scented votive in it and I could barely smell the fragrance, but the "plastic" smell was HORRIBLE! I unwrapped all the ones I had wrapped and unless I can find some shrink wrap that doesn't smell bad, I am stuck with a buncha stuff I will never use!

I have the tubing from Packco and initally it smells a bit bad, but it only lasts for a little bit and then it smells fine. When I first used it, I was thinking, this isn't going to work, but the smell goes away for me and I am totally happy with it.

I've wondered about this too... All the shrink wrap sleeves/bands I have stink like a skunk, especially if they get too warm. These are PVC - for lip balm and whipped shea.

I have some shrink wrap bags for soap that I got from eBay, and they don't seem to have that odor. Don't know what these are made of.

There is PVC and POF (polyolefin). According to shrinkwrapstore.com, the POF is food grade and produces far less odor than PVC. I haven't tried this yet - has anyone else?

http://www.shrinkwrapstore.com/store.php?crn=83&rn=337&action=show_detail

I have the tubing from Packco and initally it smells a bit bad, but it only lasts for a little bit and then it smells fine. When I first used it, I was thinking, this isn't going to work, but the smell goes away for me and I am totally happy with it.

Hi, I recently received a gigantic roll of PVC shrink tubing from Packco and the smell is horrible. I have it sealed up in a bag and it still stinks. How long did it take for the smell to go away?