CP question?

TexasBrat

I was thinking of trying my hand at cp again, I still LOVE cphp but wanted to make cp for more experience. The first time I made it I used a large mixing glass bowl and I think that it was to small, it did work but I like more play room rather than it being filled to the top. My question is I know stainless steel pots are expensive or at least the ones I have seen at Walmart are over $30.00 and that's more than I want to spend. I have shopped GoodWill and haven't found anything useful. So, what else can I use to make cp soap that won't cost me a fortune?

Bunny, I think I know what your talking about I may have to check that out;) , I was also wondering if you could just take the insert out of the crockpot and try that? I usually do CPHP but would also like to try CP one more time. What do you think, would this work?

Angie

Bunny, do you mean the type that some use for camping too? I think I know what you are talking about.

Thanks, I can do $13.00

I don't want to use my crock for cp since the cp doesn't get cooked out like hp does. Or, is there really nothing to worry about? I use my crock for cooking food in too. :confused:

Texasbrat.. She's just using the insert, it's not in the base, and she's not turning it on. Just using it as a mixing vessel.

I'm not sure about the camping thing, but there are a zillion sizes with all the pots and pans of this blue stuff...lol

Like this?http://www.2camping.com/images/product/1_5068.jpg

Does it have those little white flecks in the paint too?

She's just using the insert, it's not in the base, and she's not turning it on. Just using it as a mixing vessel.

Ya, I understand that but I was thinking that when making cp the lye is not cooked out all the way so I didn't know what residue is left in the ceramic part if it is not cooked out like with hp.
Go to Target- they have large stainless steel bowls for 8.99.

All different sizes available if you want some selection.

I never thought about using those bowls, great idea. Thanks.

Gallon plastic buckets work great too. If you don't buy oils in that size of bucket, you can usually find some small ones at Lowes or a hardware store.

Thanks. I wondered if a strong plastic item would work too. I know just the buckets you are talking about.

I wasn't planning on making anything larger than about 3 lbs but my little glass mixing bowl is to small for that. These ideas are great. :)

Gallon plastic buckets work great too. If you don't buy oils in that size of bucket, you can usually find some small ones at Lowes or a hardware store.

Yup, this is what I use. I get the 2 gallon ones at work for free, as many as I'll let them save for me.

Walmart also has a 8 or 12 QT stainless steel bowl for under $5. I almost got it last night then remembered that free buckets were da bomb.

That's the pot! Loving using pots, as I've had a couple cp's that turned wonky and had to HP, just stuck lid on the pot and stuck it in the oven!

And about the lye in the crock? Just wait day to clean, then you have soap...lol Then clean the pot, no dishsoap required! There won't be any free lye left..

This may be a stupid question,but how do you melt your hard oils when you use a plastic bucket?I have a stainless steel pot that I use on the stove to melt my hard oils.

Anna

My buckets have plastic handles. If your buckets have a metal handle, remove it.

I've got about 20 of gallon buckets - that was the size I bought my PKO and palm in from Glorybee. They fit in the microwave. I just do the hard oils, and in my recipe, I can get enough hard oil in there for a 10# recipe. Takes about 10 minutes to melt.

Then I pour that into my ss pot, add the soft oils and off I go.

The gallon bucket holds enough for a full 4-5# recipe, so I don't need to use my ss pot.

I've never used a stove to melt my oils - the one in the basement smokes because it has wax on it :) and DH won't let me use the kitchen one :)